Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 11:15:43 AM EDT
Any word on these yet? Are they being shipped? Does anyone own one?Are they easy to install?

www.gggaz.com/products/tmfff.php
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I'm really interested in these, too.  The price looks ok, and it's nice to have mounting capability at 8 angles, not just 4.  Looks like a nice balance between the SIR (removable rails) and RAS (no obstruction of top rail).
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
it's nice to have mounting capability at 8 angles, not just 4.
View Quote

Make that all 12 clock positions, 12 not 8. It also comes with the (1) full lenght top/bottom rail, (2) half length top/bottom rails, (2) half top/bottom forearm panels, (2) half length side rails, (1) half-offset side rail (ambidextrous design), & (4) half-side forearm panels.

I talked to them about a week ago about sending them my upper to have it and their tactical flip up front sight installed, they said send it off and they are working on a 3 week turn around time presently...
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#3]

I talked to them about a week ago about sending them my upper to have it and their tactical flip up front sight installed, they said send it off and they are working on a 3 week turn around time presently...
View Quote

So this is something GG&G has to install? I like the fact you can mount a Surefire at an angle for better access with your thumb.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
From looking at the GG&G website, anybody who can assemble an upper should be able to put one of these on.  I don't remember the details though.

This does look like a good, cheaper alternative for a free float tube.  I would really like to hear from someone who has used one.
Scott
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So this is something GG&G has to install? I like the fact you can mount a Surefire at an angle for better access with your thumb.
View Quote

Anybody that knows what they are doing can install it, but like most free float forearms the barrel is removed from the receiver for installation. I don't have the tools to do this, and don't particularly want to buy them either, so I am going to send GG&G my Bushy upper, and also have them do the front sight install at the same time.

I have a machine shop and I built my Imbel FAL, so I know my way around a gun and tools, but if I can get a professional to wrench on my weapons without it costing an arm and a leg I'll do it.  

Now if the assault weapons ban sunsets and isn’t replaced with something more severe, I’ll invest in this tooling at a later date and build myself a few more pre-ban config AR’s but my present pre-ban AR is like gold to me so I’m going to have professionals work on it as long as I can afford it…  
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Omega_556 please post a response when you get it back! I will order one next month as a Birthday present to myself.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how difficult it would be to remove the forearm for cleaning behind it?  Maybe the 2-piece design would facilitate this...
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The only technical thing you need to do to install the ggg FF is install it onto the barrel nut.  This means removing the Delta Ring.  That may or may not be a big deal depending on your toolchest and experience.

Removal of the Delta Ring can be done by removing the barrel, removing the flash hider, removing the front sight post and gas tubes; then sliding off the barrel nut and Delta Ring; and then reinstalling the barrel nut.
OR
a quicker-easier way would be to GENTALY use a dremmel tool and carfully cut the Delta Ring off... leaving behind a bare barrel nut.  After that it just bolts on (secured to the bare barrel nut)...kinda like a A.R.M.S. SIR - Military model.
The FF system has been advertised for about 2 months and backordered at least that long.  It is my understanding that they are filling a large US Military order first. (thats ok with me...Semper FI !!).
I "pre-ordered" mine about 2 months ago.  I called for an ETA about once every ten days for the last month.  Initially I was told about 2 more weeks (for each of the calls), and just this week I was told another 3 weeks.
It looks like this system will be excellent, but will take a while before it is readily availible to the commercial market.
hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Removal of the Delta Ring can be done by removing the barrel, removing the flash hider, removing the front sight post and gas tubes; then sliding off the barrel nut and Delta Ring; and then reinstalling the barrel nut.
View Quote

Once you have the barrel off the upper rec'r, you just need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring from the barrel nut and the weld spring and delta ring will fall right off.  You don't need to remove the front sight.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:52:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Once you have the barrel off the upper rec'r, you just need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring from the barrel nut and the weld spring and delta ring will fall right off.  You don't need to remove the front sight.
View Quote

Well, heck, you learn something new every day.  I've never had to remove a D-ring, but now I know the easy way.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Well said is a 5 minutes job. You can even use a small flat head screwdriver to WECSOG it out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]
'my bad'
you are correct.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top