Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 11:41:34 AM EDT
It's a brand new model 1 M-4 f.top upper.I have a NEW A2 cary handle from a local dealer(the guy thought it was RRA)I tighten it down finger tite,pretty good.I pull the charging handle back let go,the bolts slams forward.The problem is the handle creeps backwards.I tightened it with a quarter and it STILL moves WTF!How can I stop it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If it wont stay put with finger tight, you might need longer bolts. Even a slightly longer bolt will catch the rail slot and hold the handle in place. Do your bolts not contact  the rails? That may be the intended design, I'm not too familiar with the carry handles. J
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
It has 2 studs coming out of the handle,a thin plate(clamp)goes on then the two nuts go on.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you trust your local dealer?  It might be one of the [s]crappy[/s] less expensive Leapers carry handles.  I don't think longer bolts would help, because they already go all the way across the rail.  If they're not down in the rail slots now, longer bolts aren't going to help.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I would return it if i could. There has been a lot of cheap chinese (i think) made crap going around lately
Good luck
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes they sell real HQ products.It is a VERY nice piece,deff. not junk.They get their parts frpm C.M.T,RRA(same)and Armalite.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Could it be the upper receiver is not mil-spec?Maybe a combination of cheap carry handle and out of spec rails.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know,quality seems to VERY good on both parts.Fit and finish is 100%.Except for the prob.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:12:15 AM EDT
[#8]
storminnorman, my DPMS M4gery is doing exactly the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Stormin, try removing the thumbscrews and flipping the clamping plate end for end and reinstall the carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I figured out the problem earlier tonite.The screw wasn't up against anything,I slid the handle back so the screw was up against the groove in the reciever.It's all set now,thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Isn`t the carry handle supposed to be flush with the front of the receiver? If butted up against the back of the notches on the flattop it doesn`t fit flush.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]
That's what I was trying to do but it has to sit back,just a litle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I honestly don't think that's going to be a long-term solution.  I have never seen a rail-mounted optic shift just from letting the bolt slam home!  Moving the carry handle back will keep it from moving when the bolt returns, but what happens on recoil?  The gun moves back under the carry handle.  Since the crossbolt is back against the rear of the crosscut, the carry handle will move forward until the crossbolt hits the front of the crosscut.  When the bolt goes home again, the carry handle will slide backwards again.  Back and forth, back and forth, [i]every[/i] time you fire the gun.

You might expect the optic to move during recoil, which is why you should position any cross-bolts or recoil lugs against the [b]front[/b] of the crosscuts in the rail.  It should definitely [i]not[/i] move just from charging the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the rails are out of spec on the Model 1 flat top uppers, this was a topic months ago.

I tried to slide a #38 Swan sleeve on mine and it wouldn't budge. Had to file down the top and sides of the rail to get it to fit. Even then it had to be "assisted" with a rubber mallet.

I've since sold the Swan sleeve and went back to a carry handle (Bushmaster). My handle slides back after the first shot, but is rock solid after the initial move aft. I've gotten over it, dosen't effect my groups at all.

I think that's why the handle is designed with the bolts engaging the slots in the rail, to stop any movement. I just hope my EOTech will mount solid on the rails!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I honestly don't think that's going to be a long-term solution.  I have never seen a rail-mounted optic shift just from letting the bolt slam home!  Moving the carry handle back will keep it from moving when the bolt returns, but what happens on recoil?  The gun moves back under the carry handle.  Since the crossbolt is back against the rear of the crosscut, the carry handle will move forward until the crossbolt hits the front of the crosscut.  When the bolt goes home again, the carry handle will slide backwards again.  Back and forth, back and forth, [i]every[/i] time you fire the gun.

You might expect the optic to move during recoil, which is why you should position any cross-bolts or recoil lugs against the [b]front[/b] of the crosscuts in the rail.  It should definitely [i]not[/i] move just from charging the rifle.
View Quote

What about optics mounted on a flat-top upper? Will they shift around also? I am currently in the process of building a flat-top which I plan on putting optics on and I don't want to be re-sighting in my gun every time I bring it out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I honestly don't think that's going to be a long-term solution.  I have never seen a rail-mounted optic shift just from letting the bolt slam home!

View Quote

What about optics mounted on a flat-top upper? Will they shift around also? I am currently in the process of building a flat-top which I plan on putting optics on and I don't want to be re-sighting in my gun every time I bring it out.
View Quote

No way!  That's what I'm saying; it doesn't make sense for any flattop mounted optic to shift.  It should definitely not shift backwards while the bolt goes forward, and the recoil lug and/or crossbolt should keep it from shifting forward under recoil.  This applies to an A3 carry handle, or any flattop optical mount.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top