Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2003 8:45:53 PM EDT
First off, thanks for looking

My ACE stock just arrived from Bushmaster today. Even though I own Colts I like buying from Bushmaster because they are so close to me. UPS ground only takes one day to arrive.

This particular stock appears to be used-perhaps it was RMAed. It came fully assembled except for the recoil pad-even the sling swivel was mounted. The anodizing on the gusset and the recoil pad threads are completely beat to hell.

I have three questions:

1) What should I do to repair the damaged threads? I don't own a tap/die set but I can buy one.

2) Should I use blue or red loctite to secure the screws? I guess what I'm asking is, what is the likelihood that I'll have to remove this stock once it is mounted?

3) Should I just return it and demand a new one? I'm a little peeved to have paid a premium price for a used part. I'm wondering if it's worth the aggravation to exchange it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
1) What should I do to repair the damaged threads?
View Quote

Return it.

2) Should I use blue or red loctite to secure the screws? I guess what I'm asking is, what is the likelihood that I'll have to remove this stock once it is mounted?
View Quote
The only place you should be using any Loctite at all is if your aftermarket scope mount or sight needs some help staying attached.  Normal parts like stocks shouldn't need any.  Just put a little bit of oil or grease on each one before you install it.  That way it'll tighten up properly and not bind up and feel tight before it's actually tightened all the way.

3) Should I just return it and demand a new one? I'm a little peeved to have paid a premium price for a used part. I'm wondering if it's worth the aggravation to exchange it.
View Quote
Yes, you most certainly should return it.  If they balk make sure to tell them that you could have bought it for a lot less from another vendor but chose them because of their supposed great service.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Return it!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Contact [s]ACE[/s] Bushamster and get a return number. Return the stock.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys-I'll return it. Since Bushmaster is so close to me I think I'll just drive up to them instead of dicking around with RMAs and UPS. I'd like to have the new stock installed by this weekend since my wife and I are going shooting on Saturday.

My wife going shooting with me is my reparation for being dragged along on another damned shopping trip [:)]
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:54:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Definately return it.  Make sure to point out how over priced they are when you do so [:D].  I've even talked to dealers who have complained about how high their dealer costs are.
At any rate, good choice on the stock.  I hope you enjoy it.  The M4gery I put together a couple of months ago has the ARFX-E on it.  I'm short (5'5") so it works perfectly for me.  That and I just love the way it looks on the rifle! [:)]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top