Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 7:45:38 AM EDT
(My first post... )I know DPMS makes a "southpaw" A2 receiver, but this will be my first AR and I want a complete gun first.  I narrowed down to Bushmaster or RRA but I am a lefty and I am concerned about flying brass (of course.)

Been a lurker for a while; Thanks for all the good information, guys....
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
No, DPMS is the only outfit that offers a southpaw upper, and you've got to build yourself.

Cheer up. The hump that sticks out just behind the ejection port on the standard models deflects the brass, and you won't get hit even w/the right side ejection.

Heck, I've got three ARs with the original A1 type uppers, that didn't have the ejection hump, and I've only been hit one time in 25 years. Have had a lot of empties hit the earpiece of my earmuffs, but almost doesn't count. With the new type uppers though, nothing has ever come even close.[:D]

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
If it has a brass deflector its good to go.  It was built into the design of the A2 just for lefties.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]
^
|___ What those two said up there.

I was concerned like you when I started out. I looked high & low for a Lefty. It turns out that the AR was (In theory) an ambidextrous-minded weapon. I say in theory because standard ambi-safeties were dropped by the Gov't. Don't worry about brass with your AR. My only concern is a project on a "correct" early style A1 without the deflector. I suppose I'll have to sacrifice coffectness for function there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The A2 brass deflector is on all the military flat tops and you don't have to worry about hot brass going down the front of your shirt.
The military do not want to issue Purple Hearts for that type wound, so Bushmaster is your best bet.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
All the above - BUT!

You will get a face full of burning powder flakes if shooting with a suppressor! For that the DPMS setup is the only way to go!

The other option is to get one of the snap on hard plastic brass catchers (Made in Cave Creek IIRC) and drill a grid of 3/16" holes in the forward facing side to vent the excess gasses.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#6]
dawg killer,
cool name. I know a few barking dogs in my neighborhood that could use some adjustment.

Im a lefty and use a regular RRA upper. never gotten hit from brass yet, but if you load your carrier with CLP, better plan on a few rounds full of hot gasses. Thats why my carrier is LIGHTLY coated.
Have fun. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, guys!  That kind of info is why this board is so great.  So it's full steam ahead;  I think I have settled on the RRA Varmint 16 over the Bushmaster V-Match 16" since it already has the stainless bbl, match trigger and hogue grip.  That should save a couple bucks for my EoTech sight.  (Unless someone changes my mind!  I am all ears.)

DOA - As for "dawg killer", it is an oblique reference to my coyote hunting but also a nod to me being a bonehead.  First time I shot a "coyote" I was excited until I walked up to it and realized it was a regular dog.  A wild dog, no collar, and mangy, but just a dog.  I got a ration of shit for that from my buddies!  HAHAHA
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Being a lefty myself, I gotta agree with everyone else here. The AR works perfectly with the built in brass deflector.

Back when I was in, the Army had a goofy plastic brass deflector that would clip on the side of the Rifle. Seemed like it would cause the rifle to jam for whoever that used it. I never felt the need to use one and would highly recommend against the use of them.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top