Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2003 9:52:34 PM EDT
Before I started zeroing it in, I was barely hitting the paper -- it was high and to the right about 8 to 10 inches.

After I finished sighting it in, I shot 20 consecutive shots @ 100 yards using a sandbag & the iron sights.

Here's the result:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/a/jamin3d/target/IMG_1975b.JPG

How did I do?  How well should I be doing if I'm not supporting with sand bags @ 100 yards?

I'll try it again Sunday at 25 yards.  I should be able to nail a quarter at that distance, right?  How about free-standing?
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/a/jamin3d/target/IMG_1975b.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn I wasted my 500th post...I was saving that one...[:P]

You did good for "combat accuracy" but chances are if you have a "decent" AR, it is capable of much better.  
(Of course with open sights at 100yards on a carbine, you did damn fine, so if that's the case don't worry about it)

And I am sure someone that knows more will try to help you better with a better comment than me...

[wave]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good to me.

Think about the ones that weren't as good as the best. I know whenever I Qaulified on M-16 there were always a few shots that I knew sucked.

I think it's safe to say you killed the bad guy and that is all that counts.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Except for the six shots to the left not a bad group, however your Ar is capable of much better accuracy than that.

You are stringing your shots to the left that means you need better breathing control.

Remember the mantra: breath in breath out breath in breath out HOLD squeeze trigger, you will have better breath control on a empty lung than a Lung full of air.

What ammo were you using by the way.?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the comments guys.  I'll have to work on the breathing -- I'm totally new at this, and wasn't practicing any breathing methods in particular.

I'm using Winchester white-box 55 grain, and also UMC 55 grain.

A friend in the army told me to use the BRASS technique for breathing:

"Make sure you use the BRASS acronym too, Breath Relax Aim Sight Squeeze.

They teach us to pull trigger on the natural pause between exhale and inhale in breathing."
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:11:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Your iron sight should be adjusted for 50 yards using the [url=http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw]Improved Battlesight Zero[/url]. Read the article. all my sighting options on my AR's are sighted in this way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#7]
After sighting in my bushy A2 shorty at 25 yards, I taking it to the  100+ yards, this was the results. Using iron sights.
[IMG]http://www.metrophotohost.com/gallery_0010/gallery_albums/TMO-Member-Favorite-Battle-Rifles/Bushy50yards.jpg[/IMG]

TG
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:36:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey after sighting in my 20" A2 I tried shooting a 10rd group at 100yds with wolf ammo. Only half the bullets hit the target and they were all high making dinner plate size group.  Can wolf ammo do better or was that just me?  I think wolf ammo could at least do three shot 2" groups at 100yds.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Wolf ammo doing 2" groups?!?!!? LMAO!  Not the Wolf I have tried.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Zhukov -- thanks for the link.

TexaxsGunman -- what ammo were you using?

Oh, and I scaled that one pic down so it didn't fill up so much of this thread.  :)  You may have to refresh your browser (F5) to replace the larger pic with the smaller one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#11]
pixelman, it was US GI surplus ammo,stamped TW72. I'd purchased a couple cases of this from a friend of mine, who no longer owns a AR.
I have another case of ammo, think its stamped in 87, not sure without looking at it.

TG

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
pixelman, it was US GI surplus ammo,stamped TW72. I'd purchased a couple cases of this from a friend of mine, who no longer owns a AR.
I have another case of ammo, think its stamped in 87, not sure without looking at it.

TG

View Quote

TG, You got any of that ammo left ?
Would you sell me a couple of rounds of that
for my cartridge colection ?
I don't have any of that mfgr. in 5.56mm
just 7.62x51mm
Scott
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I have better groups with wolf than I do with 3131A. I shoot a Colt hbar 1\9. I have shot the 193 also and the wolf out performs all these. Go figure
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#14]
try a BZO target next time, they are dual purpose (36 yds)
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#15]
SilverBullet9mm,

Do you know a site where I can download this BZO target?  I couldn't find one with Google.  Is there something similar to it, maybe with a different name here: http://www.recguns.com/targets.html ?

thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top