Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2003 8:01:51 PM EDT
i ran this question by on the maintenence forum, but i figured i might have more luck here.. i just got a brand new DCM competition lower from bushmaster, and it's a little scratched up around the pins on the right side of the receiver. i tried applying a little bit of black sharpie and rubbing it in, as someone suggested, but it just gave me a shiny patch that looked even worse than the scratches. does anyone know a product or DIY method that will effectively blend scratches into the anodizing? i know it's not a big deal, and i know AR's are meant to take a beating, but because it's brand new and it cost me 489 bucks out the door, it kinda rubs me the wrong way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Birchwood Casey Aluma-Black, dampen a qtip with it, apply and itll blacken up your marks perfectly. Just follow the directions on the bottle. I think it comes out much better than a sharpie and does not dimensionally chance the surface (like touch up paint does). Pretty much permanent too, especially in the areas your talking about.. John
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
okay, i think i'll head out to dick's and see if i can pick up a bottle tomorrow. i was just a little worried that the birchwood casey stuff was just a 6 dollar sharpie..

actually, i just looked, and dick's only has "super black", in gloss black & flat black. does the aluma-black work noticably better, or will flat black do the trick? sorry for so many questions, i just don't want to buy the wrong stuff.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont get the super black it freakin sucks ass.  Its nothing but a paint filled sharpie and the paint wont even hold up to CLP.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Exactly correct, dont get the paint pen! Get the bottle of Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. Its in a 3oz. blue bottle. I just touched up a few small marks on Bushmaster lower I just bought. Cant see the marks at all, I cant even remember where they were. Itll handle CLP, FP10, pretty much whatever you use... John
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I'm the only one.. I think scratches add character.  What's a gun without wabi anyways?  I'm suspicious of owner's whose guns look too new.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]
excellent, i feel better already [:)] thanks a lot for the info guys
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top