Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 7:18:11 PM EDT
Just curious, about how much velocity would one expect from a muzzle brake like the AK style brake?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The brake will have no effect on velocity. Once it passes the crown, the projectile is on its own regardless of muzzle attachments.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 2:37:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen stats in magazine articles for muzzle velocity with, and without sound suppressor. In some cases velocity increased with the can. So, I wouldn't go so far as to say once it passes the crown, it doesn't matter.
However, I wouldn't think the AK brake would make much difference.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not possible for a muzzle brake to affect velocity because the only time it comes into play is AFTER the bullet has left the muzzle.

A suppressor is a whole different can (play on words) of worms. It will gather compressed air in front of the bullet and can have all kinds of impact before the bullet gets to the muzzle.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I think i might have mentioned something about muzzle breaks and velocity loss a while ago in a different thread. Allow me to clear up what i ment, in case thats what you read:

Imagine having a 14.5" M4 barrel, with a comp. permanently installed to bring it up to the legal 16". Now you've got a 16" long "barrel", with only 14.5" worth of velocity (because 1.5" of it is acctually just the comp). Your velocity out of this barrel will be 3064 FPS (win. 55gr. @ 0 degrees RH-20%)

Now imagine having a just plain 16" barrel. You've got the same amount of overall length as example above, but this time, all 16" are barrel. Therefore you get more velocity, with the same amout of bulk: 3132 FPS (win. 55gr. @ 0 degrees RH-20%)

I hope that made it clear. So adding a comp will NOT cause any loss in velocity as long as the barrel is the same length.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies, I have always heard that adding a muzzle brake would decrease the velocity of your projectile. Thanks for clearing up the Bravo Sierra. :)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top