Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2003 10:24:02 PM EDT

Have I been holding my pistol grip incorrectly on all the M16s and Ar15s I have lugged and shot over the years?
I don't understand the need for the "gapper" rubber device for the trigger 'Gap'. I'm not criticizing, I just don't understand how you can hold the pistol grip to get a blister or irritated finger from the trigger guard. Years in the Infantry only gave me blisters on my feet.

Any enlightenment is appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't understand that one either.I have never gotten a blister or hot spot from the gap.Maybe some folks just have fatter digits than others.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You dont get it till you hold the rifle with one hand and do repeated reloads that way with the rifle in the ready position.  The weight of the entire rifle falls on your middle knuckle and web of thumb/hand... knuckle sinks in hole... you shift rifle slightly during reloads... sharp edge digs in your skin... repeat about 100 times... there is your blister.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
No Just lucky, some people get them and some don't. I didn't untill I started to carry mine 12hours a day in an assault sling while on duty since my trigger finger was always outside the guard to block it my second finger then rubbed in that gap, bought a gapper at the show for 2.00 problem went away.

Unless you hold this way, you probally will never encounter it. But, the first time you do just remember my voice saying "I told you so" lol.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You dont get it till you hold the rifle with one hand and do repeated reloads that way with the rifle in the ready position.  The weight of the entire rifle falls on your middle knuckle and web of thumb/hand... knuckle sinks in hole... you shift rifle slightly during reloads... sharp edge digs in your skin... repeat about 100 times... there is your blister.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to hijack, but...

What is a [b]MRE spoon "solutions"[/b]?

I haven't seen this referenced before...
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lots of things that "never happen" start happening when you carry your rifle outdoors for 8 or more hours, especially in a rifle class or on actual combat patrols.  That's why you see GIs or Israeli soldiers with lots of 100 MPH tape, 550 cord, and MRE spoon "solutions" to these problems.

-Troy
View Quote

I've only been to a 16 hour course and practice those techniques I've learned at the range.I would think I'd have been effected by now.I use a Fobus G27 grip so maybe it places my fingers in a different spot than others who are effected.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not to hijack, but...

What is a [b]MRE spoon "solutions"[/b]?

I haven't seen this referenced before...
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately, despite their amazing versatility, I always found them too short to eat from the packet with, without getting food on my fingers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's because you're slitting the pouch across the top (the short side), when you should be slitting it across the side (long side)-Troy
View Quote

[thinking]Where do you learn all of these secret tricks?  Why didn't I think of that...

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top