Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2003 3:35:23 PM EDT
Considering purchasing a flat top M4 upper from M&A parts, want to build a budget carbine. Any feedback on their uppers? Any other inexpensive alternatives?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
From one FIB to another:

I like [url]http://www.model1sales.com[/url] because they have had a better track record with other AR owners on this site.  Have you checked them out yet?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks fellow FIB. I think I will go with Model I, forogt about those guys. If I add the bolt & carrier to the kit, will it come headspaced and ready to go? Will they let me pick it up at their faciilty? I assume you have had good luck with them. This will all be going on a Bushmaster lower. Thanks buddy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.jtdistributing.com[/url] has been excellent for me.  Much better than M&A.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought an M&A Parts 20' A2 kit and the upper was just like any other that's out there. The only thing that I didn't like was the buttstock that came with it. It looked and felt like unfinished fiberglass, wasn't smooth at all. So I sanded it down and refinished it to an acceptable appearance. Everything else fits and functions normally.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I will buy from M&A because their uppers are currently made by FN Herstal (they replied to an email and told me so in no uncertain terms), which in my opinion means quality. I don't mind rough stocks and the like since this is the way government contractor deliver them to the military. My first issued A2 was like that.

What I would like to know is, was M&A prompt with their delivery, and was dealing with them generally good. When I talked to JT and Model one, they were helpful and pleasant, but I couldn't pin them down on who makes their uppers. They just said "it varies", no guarantees. I'm sure they have quality parts, but I'd rather have an FN upper than Continental Tool or Lewis machine & tool uppers, if I have a choice. Just personal preference.

Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I have built several ar's. Most a new lower and internals with used or surplus uppers. I have one M&A kit I bought a flat top with a 20" barrel. I'm very happy with it and for what it's worth it's very accurate.

I have no experience with model 1, JT, etc. I think from what I have read they are all good. M&A has a presence at some of the gun shows I frequent, so for me it's nice to see/touch the upper before I buy it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The M&A kit I bought had gunked up springs.  Some had to be replaced.  The small parts for the lower were not well finshied.  As others have said, the stock was ratty.  It jammed on every shot for the first few trips to the range.  I tinkered around with it, using different mags and bullets, and kept shooting, and it eventually became very reliable.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah the grease that the upper was packed in was a little thick but nothing some clp and a toothbrush didn't take off.
I believe that it took about 3-4 days for my order to arrive from M&A Parts so they are prompt with sending it off.
JT Distributing is always at the larger NC gun shows that I go to and their stuff is good. Their in house Doublestar lowers look good except for the selector stops. Instead of being round, they are triangular. They will even assemble an AR for you at your request if you purchase the parts from them, as they never have completed rifles at their stand just the pieces to build one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The M&A kit I bought had gunked up springs.  Some had to be replaced.  The small parts for the lower were not well finished.
View Quote

So by "gunked up" do you mean fouled with grease, or bent/nonfunctional? By not well finish do you mean rough surface, poor fit, excess metal?

Also, how was the upper compared to the other parts in the kit? I will probably just be buying the upper as I have really been wanting an FN upper, and they are the only ones selling them, as far as I have found. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Believe what you want, these are not FN uppers. FN cannot sell to the public. I know they are made by government contractors but there is no way, no how no matter what they say that these are FN uppers. Sorry. I bought the M&A kit at a gun show yesterday. As far as fit and finish, absolutely no difference then the more expensive companies.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top