Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 12:18:56 PM EDT
I'm trying to choose between Militec-1 and Mil-Comm.

I want to use one of these products on my new AR-10. I need some info for comparison.
I'd like to hear from some of you guys who have used these lubricants. Tell me which you think is better and why.

The Militec-1 is a 'one-lube-for-all' product, while Mil-Comm offers oils in two viscosities, a grease, and other products.  
It would be convenient to have one lube for everything, but I don't know if that is really practical, or just marketing hype.

If there is another product out there that you feel is superior, tell me about it.
I just want to pick the best lube for my new ArmaLite.

I'm not real impressed with some of Militec's propaganda re: 'CLP causes weapons jams and kills soldiers'.
(Those are my words, not their's, but that is the point they are making.) That said, if the product is superior, I'll still use it.
Their PR department just needs to take a look at the image they are presenting.

For anyone not familiar with either product, here a links to the manufacturer's sites:
www.militec-1.com/

www.mil-comm.com/

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP is still working so why change?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a question regarding CLP. Do you use it as a cleaner and lubricant or do you use some type of oil on the moving parts.  I feel Clp is not thick enough to stay on parts any lenght of time, and would not be useful if the weapon was stored for a month or two.

I hear all good things about CLP but it just seems a little thin to be a lubricant.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Get yourself some FP-10. It is one of (If not THE) best CLP on the market today. Here's their web-site, [url]www.fp10.com[/url]. Hopes this helps.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It's spelled Militec.

I have had good performance with Militec-1 in my suppressor QD mounts, I don't use it as a corrosion inhibitor though.  I also like FP-10.  CLP is way to viscous for me to use during the winter in Alaska, plus I don't like how it turns to a thick film when it dries. Of course, it wasn't designed for extreme cold.  I found Rem Oil (with Teflon) to be good in the cold, applied sparingly.  Don't have to deal with sand.

I recently purchased some TW-25B off EE.  IIRC, some of the comments were that it was in use in the desert environments supposedly handling sand dust adequately.

Sometimes I avoid the dust attaction and freezing problems altogether and just use a dry film lubricant. YMMV

Edited to say, unless it's really cold, when I am packing it or at the range, I just use good ole CLP so I don't have to carry a bunch of different products...
Just got to read the military test report.  I also have some LSA, but now I want to try the LAW for using in cold weather!  Report seem to focus on dust tests, but I really don't have any dust problems here, the desert I live in is tundra, not hot sand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Spelling corrected, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
You all need to e-mail Slip 2000 and get their free sample of the Slip 2000 lubricant CLP. It works great in cold weather, does not attract dust or dirt, and the best part is it helps keep carbon from building up.
crisco
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Where is the data that shows militec lubricates poorly???    

LittleJacek
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You all need to e-mail Slip 2000 and get their free sample of the Slip 2000 lubricant CLP. It works great in cold weather, does not attract dust or dirt, and the best part is it helps keep carbon from building up.
crisco
View Quote

I've already done that! It's sitting in my safe waiting to be used. I also got a sample of FP-10 and Militec-1 oil and grease.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been using Ballistol lube for about the last year on everything.  It's good for black powder guns, ctg. guns, wood, leather, plastic, it's one of the best lubes that no one knows about even though it's been around for over 90 years.  Check out their web site.
http://www.ballistol.com

Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just read an interesting article in this months issue of Shotgun News pertaining to certain lubes in harsh dusty environments. It talks about what happened in Iraq with the weapon malfunctions. It goes in great detail on the minerals that make up sand and the abrasion and friction that it causes. The article states," lubricants of high viscosity should be avoided in regimens of wind blown sand. Only lubes with low viscosity should be used in these types of environments. Low viscosity gun lubes that can be recommended include Break-free LP, Tetra Gun L and G96 Gun treatment. There are literally dozens of others that can be used. Weapons should recieve only light applications only of these low-viscosity lubricants. Powdered graphite-type lubricants and other so-called "dry" lubricants can be employed with some effect also." It also talks about operating small arms completely "dry" and unlubricated in the desert. Saying its unacceptable because one, low viscosity lubricants literally flush propellant and other types of fouling away from the reciprocating components into interior nooks and crannies where they do not interfere with operation. And second, running without any lubricants accelerates wear at alarming rates, especially firearms operating in the full-auto mode.

Just something I thought I'd pass on.

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
CLP is my favorite cleaner simply because my wife thinks its cologne.  Usually, I'm covered in CLP when I take the time to clean all of my AR gear.  
My wife says "What is that smell!?  Are you wearing cologne?  Damn, that stuff turns me on."

"Uhmmm. Yeah! Its new."

(To tell you the truth, thats the coolest thing my wife has ever said.)
[coffee]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
well, i personally still prefer good 'ole CLP.  And i also tend to lube the hell out of my rifle compared to the rest of the boys.  The way i see it, if I know we wont be in an extremely "nasty" environment (sand/or extreme cold) i like my rifle more wet than dry.  However, in a sandbox situation...my procedures are as follows.  I grab a few bolt assemblies and throw them in the rifle and whichever one feels looser to me (yes i can tell) is my choice for the opp. at hand.  Then i will CLP and wipe down completly....so i know there is a film there but just cant really feel it.  A small and i mean VERY SMALL swab on each side and that is it!  Hey, Im still here right??

I vote CLP
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey, Im still here right??

I vote CLP
View Quote

[lolabove]

It's hard to ignore an endorsement from someone who REALLY has 'been there/done that'. [:D]

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#16]
About 3-4 days after using Break free CLP the skin on my fingers will peel for a couple of days. I must be sensitive to something in it. My nurse wife has picked me up a bunch of non-latex gloves to start wearing when I clean guns.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#17]
my vote goes for eezox
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone hear of something called "Strike-Hold"?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone hear of something called "Strike-Hold"?
View Quote

I guess not.

Tell us more ...
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:04:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Been using CLP since 1985 in M16/AR15's and no complaints here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Well since were talking about lubes, I'm finally put in my .02.  First I agree for general use the CLP's can't be beat.  But for extreme environment (cold or lots of rounds or dusty) I also use Krytox, which is made by Dupont...and NO I don't work for them.  I wipe the gun and parts dry, then it only takes a little teeny bit wiped on bearing surfaces to lube well.  It doesn't attract dirt, solvents don't dissolve it, and when you're gun is really dirty, you just wipe off the dirty stuff and put the clean on.  

Even though this stuff was developed for the space program, I used it in Indianapolis and Formula One race car development.  It has a higher and lower operating temp than petroleum based lubes, and you only need about a third of what you would normally use, for instance in a wheel bearing or other application.  

They tried to use some of the less vicous formula for motor oil, but a car blew an oil line during development, and they had to shut down the track for hours and hours to get it off, and you sure can't do that during a race.

It comes in several types, including grade 205 which has a rust inhibitor.  It's realy expensive though, so you don't see much of it around.  But, I can put some on any gun and realy feel the difference.

That's a pretty good sales pitch, eh..??  I even used it before to quiet down my instrument panel where it was squeeking over bumps, and a inner door trim panel which made a scuffing noise.  But like I said, for every day range sessions, I usually just do the CLP shuffle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Troy,
Is the military test of lubes available online?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought some of the TETRA Lube and Tetra Grease over the weekend to try. I put a thin film of the grease on the slide rails of my 45 Commander and worked it a dozen or so times, then wiped it pretty much off. The stuff left a very slick thin coating that made the slide feel like it was on rollers. I'm going to do the same to tye trigger parts tonight. The stuff has Teflon in it also. Seems to really work so far.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Troy,
Is the military test of lubes available online?
View Quote

The military tests mentioned above are available online at Militec-1's website [url=http://www.militec-1.com/lubetest1.html]HERE[/url].  Militec-1 was brand 'E'.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I am no lube expert. I have never been in combat with an M16.................. All I can tell you is my experience.
I have put quite a few rounds down range through my ARs. In addition I have taken three carbine classes; one four day and two five day classes where I fired anywhere from 1000 - 2000 rounds per class. During these classes I was firing upwards of 300 rounds per day and the rifle got hot and hotter. Over the years I have tried a variety of lubes: regular oil, Breakfree, various greases........... I have never had a problem with any of them. I own a number of ARs but one rifle in particular has had approx. 6000 rounds through it; mostly Wolf. I have only had two malfuctions. One was a bad round from PMC where the bullet seperated from the case and the other was a bad 40 round mag. The rifle doesn't seem to show any signs of abnormal wear. In a nutshell, for my uses I don't see any big difference in lubricants. During my last carbine class, I shot for three days using Wilson petrolium (sp) based oil; no problem.
I am currently using a white grease called TW25B. This was recommended to me at three Gunsite classes. I figured that even though I hadn't had any problems, they see a hell of a lot of ARs being fired extensively and should know what works if anyone does. I have to lube with something, so why not use what they recommend. It works just like everything else I have tried.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top