Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 3:52:12 PM EDT
Took my first AR out to the range today,  a Colt Match HBAR.  It was perfectly clean, unfired,  oiled,  passed all the function tests, etc etc....

I put about 280rds through it (functioning flawlessly),  before I had a failure to fire..,  ok, chamber the next round...failure to fire...

The hammer is stuck back down in the lower reciever!  I turned the safety on,  the hammer clicks up,  turn the safety off,  and the hammer will come forward like it is supposed to...until I shut the reciever,  chamber another round, and fire it.  Now the hammer is jammed back in there,  the trigger won't release the hammer,  and the saftey will not move more than 1/8" from fire to safe.

Needless to say I'm very very peeved.  
No bitterness,  but my wife and I had a splended day of shooting,  aside from this!

I will ask, however,  if anyone has had this happen to them,  and how they fixed it?  I can't see anything binding, nor were there any strange burrs or scoreing on the disconnector, or sear,  or hammer,  when it did this the first time.  However,  it is well and truly stuck this time,  and I'm at a loss, as to why.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like something is loose and rattling around in your lower.  Have you removed the hammer and trigger and looked for obvious obstructions?

One of more loose primers in that area will cause this.

Has your hammer or trigger pin walked out of place?

I assume you are using a standard fire control set, if si, these parts are simple as rocks, nothing to adjust.  If it worked for the first 200 shots, you should be good to go.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Off the top of my head I would bet that you have a 2 stage trigger and it is out of adjustment.

Cruizer
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Without having the piece in front of me, I can only guess; but my first hunch is that something has happened with the disconnector, or its' spring, and the hammer isn't being released from the disconnecter when the trigger is released.  Take a sideways look at the back of the hammer and see if the hook of the disconnector is hung up on the shelf on the back of the hammer, about half way up.

If it is, you can release the assembly by pressing down on the back of the disconnector. That should let the hammer go forwared to its normal cocked position.  At that point, it's a matter of diassembling the action, and figuring out what caused the malfunction of the disconnector.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Go buy a mini-14, numb nuts.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
VERY GOOD JOB GUYS!!!

Pulled the FCG out...and bingo...one winchester primer!

I can't *believe* that something that small could cause this,  but that's exactly what *was* calling this!

Thank you all so much!!

Uh my next question is:  Who makes a lower reciever with wider tolerances? :)~
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Mark M,  why the "numbnuts" comment?
And I personally think that Mini-14's are atrocious.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's Mark.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
lol...splendid

anyways,  thanks for the advice everyone else..very good call, very easy fix :)

That had to have been one of the more bizarre things I've ever seen happen,  but then again I grew up around sks's and ak's,  so it's all new territory to me.  Other than that glitch (bad ammo),  it's a beautiful shooter,  had no malfunctions,  very accurate,  very nice :)

No, I'm not trying to start a pissing contest between ar's and ak's or sks's...two seperate rifles with two seperate design philosophies...

Anways thanks again everyone :)
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't need a lower reciever with wider tolerances.  

You should use primer crimped ammo to ensure 100% reliability.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Frisco,  what brands/types are primer crimped?  Or is that a handloading only thing?

Correction..it was not a winchester primer afterall.  By the red laquer around the edges of the primer,  I think it was surplus south african...Lesson learned...I had no malfunctions with new production sellier and bellot ammo (55gr).
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#12]
USGI issue uses crimped in primers, and maybe some of the Nato spec ammo will be crimped too. IIRC, the crimp was to keep the primers from backing out during FA, and the red sealer was to keep water or other liquids from entering the primer pockets. At the bullet end, the mouth of the case was sealed with asphalt sealer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Frisco,  what brands/types are primer crimped?  Or is that a handloading only thing?

Correction..it was not a winchester primer afterall.  By the red laquer around the edges of the primer,  I think it was surplus south african...Lesson learned...I had no malfunctions with new production sellier and bellot ammo (55gr).
View Quote

M193, SS109.......
Look here.
[url]www.ammoman.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Really decent prices,  Ar10R...thanks for the link,  I'll be buying from that website from now on, I think.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Also, when you are fiddling around, try not to drop the hammer while the upper receiver is up/off.  If you look where it's hitting, the mag catch isn't strong enough to take too many hits like that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#16]
No problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:56:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Vinnie,  good advice.  While testing for function, I was keeping it from slamming forward into the mag catch, though :)

I'm not a total idiot, just an ar-newb :)
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]
had the same thing happen to me with S&B on a brand new out of the box bushmaster 20", one little star, so much annoyance.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
had the same thing happen to me with S&B on a brand new out of the box bushmaster 20", one little star, so much annoyance.
View Quote

Test fired a new project this weekend (Olympic w/ 6" bbl, fake suppressor, and pneumatic buffer)with S&B and PMC.  PMC fired fine, S&B had deep primer strikes but no boom.  Done with that crap.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
VERY GOOD JOB GUYS!!!

Pulled the FCG out...and bingo...one winchester primer!

I can't *believe* that something that small could cause this,  but that's exactly what *was* calling this!

Thank you all so much!!

View Quote

To simply answer your last question, the answer is spelled Kalashnikov.  Available from a dizzying array of countries including domestic production.  No complaints, no arguments, no failures.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#21]
One of the more important functions of the membership is to give you bad advice, then insult you when you don't follow it...it's a cornerstone of the culture.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was a Typo!  I meant to say:  Check for a winchester primer in the innards! [;)]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Friends don't let friends buy new production colts...
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:08:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Friends don't let friends buy new production colts...
View Quote

Not that new,  just unfired when I bought it...1995 production by the serial number.  The primer would have jinxed any other ar, methinks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top