Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2003 5:08:19 PM EDT
Greetings to all. I've long been a handgun shooter of all shapes and sizes. A while back I got a craving to try out the rifle world.

I looked around and decided AR was the way to go, hands down. I have a few weeks to research exactly what I want (purchased a firearm right before Labor Day and must wait 30 days before I'm able to make another purchase).

Mostly wanted to say hi. I have one remedial question I could not find an answer to through numerous google searches and the like:

What is the difference between a rifle and a carbine? (Remember folks, I'm coming completely from the handgun world.)
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
carbine has 16" barrel

but a gun with a 16" can be considered a rifle
but a gun with a 18" barrel cannot be called a carbine
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
why do you have to wait 30days to buy a new firearm?  state law?

if you're in CA you cannot buy an AR15 anymore.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
But with an ar15 lower, and 20" and a 16" uppers you can have both. Is this a great county or what?
Oh, welcome to the site.  Don't forget you will need about a hundred mags, so better hock the car and dog and buy mags. You have to own no less then 20 mags before anyone will sell you any ammo.LOL
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
[wave]

I like the Carbine myself, 16".

MM419
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#5]
A carbine is a type of rifle with a short barrel.  However, it’s not always used as a precise term.

Traditionally, a carbine is a short-barreled version of a specific rifle model.  In the military, carbines were often issued to Cavalry troops, while full length rifles were issued to Infantry troops.

A glaring exception to this is the M-1 Carbine, which is not a shortened version of the M-1 Garand.

I suspect most folks here would refer to an AR with a 16-inch (or thereabouts) barrel as a carbine, and an AR with a 20-inch barrel as a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
why do you have to wait 30days to buy a new firearm?  state law?

if you're in CA you cannot buy an AR15 anymore.
View Quote

Yes, I'm in Pennsylvania, pretty gun friendly. You can't do much of anything in California anymore. I lived in California for over 10 years, do you know if I can FFL transfer it if I ever move back?
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the answer on the carbine quesion everyone. The word carbine automatically made me think of my grandfather and WWII so I was a bit confused.

(Although grandad's M-1 served him just fine from the age of 17 [said he was 18] at the declaration of war all the way until the end of it. Still has his service 1911 which he fires half a box through twice a year -with very impressive groupings at age 81- to 'keep it in the pink', as he says. Don't mess with a kid who grew up in the Depression!)

I'll be going for the carbine length, now that I have the answer. I'm urban at the range and occasionally get to go out to the sticks to shoot outdoors with a friend on his family's land. So no need for 20", full stock.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top