Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2003 7:21:29 AM EDT
Colt's slogan is "If it isn't a Colt,is just a copy"

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't colt basically copy the AR-15 from Armalite?

I know they bought the rights, but it's still not being original, it's copying....

I know i'm anal
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Colt's slogan is [i]"If it isn't a Colt,is just a copy"[/i]

View Quote

Colt's slogan should be: [i]'We're not really Colt, just a poorly done copy'[/i]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Colt's slogan is [i]"If it isn't a Colt,is just a copy"[/i]

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't colt basically copy the AR-15 from Armalite?

I know they bought the rights, but it's still not being original, it's copying....

I know i'm anal[}:D]
View Quote

You are wrong: If they transferred the rights, they become the original... Colt also owns the registered TradeMark "AR15"... [:D]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah but colt wasn't the one to invent and first come up with the AR-15. Therefore colt wasn't original. Hence it's a copy[:D]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's a copy, what are all the ones that don't say AR15? Double copies?

Fact is, I know that at least the Colt pre-bans are built as well or better than most.

Dirk
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
A R = Armalite Rifle
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
AR = [b]AR[/b]malite

the AR-17 is a shotgun
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A R = Armalite Rifle
View Quote

Sorry, if you read the history section of Armalite's website, you will see that AR stands for "Accurized Rifle" not Armalite rifle, assault rifle or anything else. They actually have quite an interesting section on the hisory of the AR15 and the AR180. Armalite actually discarded the AR15/M16 design in favor of the AR180 when it looked like the US government would pass it up, then Colt picked up the rights and our government then chose that design after all, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health......while the AR180 as a military rifle faded into obscurity.

But AR originally stood for "accurized rifle".

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A R = Armalite Rifle
View Quote

Sorry, if you read the history section of Armalite's website, you will see that AR stands for "Accurized Rifle" not Armalite rifle, assault rifle or anything else. They actually have quite an interesting section on the hisory of the AR15 and the AR180. Armalite actually discarded the AR15/M16 design in favor of the AR180 when it looked like the US government would pass it up, then Colt picked up the rights and our government then chose that design after all, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health......while the AR180 as a military rifle faded into obscurity.

View Quote

Interesting. A recent article I read comparing tha AR-18 and the AR180b said that armalite designed the AR-18 after the military had started using the M-16. It was designed so as not to infinge on the rights/patents on the M16 and still compete on the same playing field.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If it's a copy, what are all the ones that don't say AR15? Double copies?

Fact is, I know that at least the Colt pre-bans are built as well or better than most.

Dirk
View Quote

Thats not the point, I'm talking strictly about the hypocrisy in their slogan. Nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I had read AR=ARmalite.
I believe that to be fact.

Colt producted the CAR target (not a para) that stood for Colt Accurized Rifle.

Colt might have changed the meaning to Accurized Rifle to delete Armalite however in Stoner's day is was from [b]AR[/b]malite

Now I go to prove myself wrong.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A R = Armalite Rifle
View Quote

View Quote

Quoted right from your own source dude:

[b][i]Early Colt AR-15s, their magazines, and their operators manuals were marked with ArmaLite’s name. Colt’s retained the AR-15 designation on commercial rifles. To this day Colt’s has a model designation with the letters AR, which stands for “ArmaLite”.[/b][/i]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Then I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Colt slogan should be..
"We bend over for the Feds. Second Amendment means nothing"
Buy a Colt=support gun control. There are other opinions, of course, but hey, they  are wrong and if you hold it you are a stupid asshole.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#14]
AR=Armalite

AR-7, AR-15, AR-17, AR-18, etc.

The Armalite of today is not the same one. EA (I think), just bought the rights to the name. The original Armalite was a division of Fairchild, and it is long gone.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted from Armalites web site:
"Early Colt AR-15s, their magazines, and their operators manuals were marked with ArmaLite’s name. Colt’s retained the AR-15 designation on commercial rifles. To this day Colt’s has a model designation with the letters AR, which stands for “ArmaLite”."---[url]http://www.armalite.com/[/url]

I didn't see the 'accurized rifle' mentioned.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Right on Boomholzer, I thought I had read that 2 days ago in the Armalite history section (that AR indeed stood for Armalite, as if to remind to the world just who ORIGINATED the weapon)

[i]If it isnt Colt... it's missing a sear block![/i][rolleyes]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top