Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2003 4:22:07 PM EDT
I thought I'd share a photo of my latest Colt AR15.  I simply mated a late 1970's Colt SP1 lower to (I think) a 1960's vintage Colt upper (Harvey Aluminum forging, tear drop forward assist but no case deflector).  It reminds me of the XM-16E1 rifle issued in the mid 1960's to U.S. service personnel (except, of course, it doesn't have the "go fast" switch).

Nothing real fancy, but I like it.  The upper and lower fit as if they were machined together.  So far, it's been 100% reliable with standard M193 ammunition; and, I know this is subjective, but it "feels" good when I shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
that's a sweet retro rifle. i'd like to build one some day.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Appreciate the compliment.  Yes, I guess it is rather retro.  No optical sights, no lights, no lasers, etc.  Just a solid rifle with a bit of character.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, that is cool!!  [headbang]

I'd love to have one just for the retro thing!

Doc
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice looking rifle.  I ground the "bump" off of my A2 pistol grip because they never put it where my fingers go, I like the look of the A1 grip better too.  I wish I could get a set of triangle hand guards in green for my rifle, I think they look much better then the current round ones.   That would be a nice rifle to hold while you watched "Platoon" or "FMJ", it'd almost make ya' feel like you were there.   Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Real nice man!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I do like FMJ.  It was one of Mr. Kubrik's better efforts.  I must admit, the last time I watched it, I pulled out my M1A.  You gotta love Private Pyle.  Funny how motion pictures influence our views on firearms.

I'm planning on taking the AR15 out later this week.  I've tested it for reliability, but not for accuracy.  I'll report back.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the retro AR15/M16 club[:D]

From other posts I've read, and people I've talked to and corresponded with, there are a bunch of us out there who are into building up AR clones of the early M16 types. I've had an XM177E2 clone built on an SP1 lower for 25 years, and have more recently built up an M16A1 type like yours, and a first issue M16 Air Force type, complete with the hard chromed, smooth side bolt/carrier assy.

I've almost stopped shooting the M4gery, and haven't put a round thru the M16A2 lookalike in almost 2 years.  The early types are more fun [:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I like the early ones also. I carried a A1  & A2 while in the service. If I could have only one being new and all ,I would take the A1. I like the weight and barrel twist for tissue damage.300mm is plenty of distance in my neck of the woods.Acutually 100mm is alot .We have thick woods. I bought a Colt M16 A1 upper form CDNN and have a AR15A2 HBAR preban that I can swap it out on.Man hope the AWB expires.I bought a bushy lower to put it on if it does. :)WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
.......... I like the look of the A1 grip better too.  I wish I could get a set of triangle hand guards in green for my rifle, I think they look much better then the current round ones.....
View Quote

You could just spritz a pair of triangle guards with some OD green Alumna-Hyde II paint from Brownells [url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1117[/url]  
Just do the buttstock & pistol grip at the same time to make sure you get a 100% color match.  I wish they made A1 grips, buttstocks & triangle handguards in the red-brown color that Armalite offers.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top