Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2003 2:11:00 PM EDT
I have the opportunity to purchase a pre-ban Colt SP1 S/N: SP242XX. What are my advantages of owning this AR15. Are these usually just wanted more as a collectors piece? I have heard that these are easy to have legally converted to fully auto. If so what type of costs should I expect to have? Is the lack of a forward assist going to be a real problem? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
reasons:

- collectors item
- pre-ban
- looks

about the full-auto:

- You can get a RDIAS(registered drop-in auto sear) and install it to have full-auto

- It will cost around $6,000-$7,000
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got 3 AR's(RRA LEGP 16", Bushmaster 20" and a SP1.  Of the three, my favorite is the SP1.  The lightweight barrel makes this gun very easy to shoot and handle.  I like this gun better than Colt A2 models because it weighs less.

The forward assist is purely a cosmetic feature.  If you have a jammed cartridge, jamming into the chamber further with the forward assist will not help at all, IMHO.

As far as being a collector, I don't know.  There are alot of SP1's floating around.

Spambo
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently purchased an SP-1 Carbine myself because they are so different then the ARs being sold today. No raised fence on the lower, a screw instead of a pivot pin in front, A-1 carry handle and the fact that it is from 1975 is cool to me (I was only 4 years old then). Mine also came with a vintage Colt 3X20 scope so that kind of made my mind up there whether to purchase it or not.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I Love My SP-1

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/048438.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Why? - Well for me personally it was the closest thing I could get to the M16 I carried
for 3 yrs.
Unfortunately I sold my SP1 many years ago [:(]

I will get another one soon though [^]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy that puppy and post about what ammo you need.[:)]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
They are the original model. Sorta like owning an original VW beetle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I have to admit.... for years I was a Colt AR15-A2 "snob".  Why would anyone purchase the old model "retro" rifle when an "improved" model was available?  Then I purchased an early SP1.  Now I understand...  Its light weight, ergonomics, accuracy, and "historical mystique" all contribute to making it one of my favorites.  I like it as much as any of my A2's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought mine in May 1969.  It has put out over 15,000 rounds, with almost 0 malfunctions.  I fired at at 25 degrees below zero and 111 degrees above 0 - no malfunctions.  Great rifle - I still have it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top