Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2003 1:03:01 PM EDT
Well, I'm thinking of changing barrels on a rifle.  My question, I know that on bolt guns you have to be careful to set the headspace correctly, is it the same on an AR?  There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust it from what I can tell.  I plan to reuse my current bolt and carrier since they're in good condition.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
[b] Yes you can adjust it . Read this over it should help you out . >[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=142139]Headspace[/url] Check out all the links also . Good Luck

SaFe ShOoTiNg
 Jerry [):)][/b]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You're not missing a thing.  You should check the headspace, if you're planning to reuse your current bolt, but the chances are 99 out of 100 that the headspace will be fine. The only possible problem that could occur would be if the barrel you're mounting is an aftermarket job from one of the less reputable outfits. Any GI surplus, Colt, Rock River, Bushmaster, DPMS barrel should be fine. And most ofd the time, even the smaller suppliers will sell you a good barrel too[:D]

Just mounted an early Colt barrel (1965,66 vintage) on an upper, checked my very well used Colt surplus bolt head (probably over 10,000 rounds), and headspace was just over minimum.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent, thanks guys.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top