Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2003 3:25:34 AM EDT
I recently bought a Colt AR15 SP1 (still waiting for license) I stay in South Africa so surplus military ammo will be pretty easy to source will this ammo be suited to the SP1
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely fine[:D] Have used South African ammo in my SP1, and all my other ARs off and on, for years.  Your barrel is the same as Colt was putting on M16A1s and is totally military specification.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#2]
been thru about 10000 rounds of the stuff... flawless in my SP1 and FNC both.

The SA surplus we get here is 55gr... but remember, you can't expect anything heavier to stabilize out of that barrel!
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot South African Exclusively now ! Its the best surplus ammo available , I've put around 12k rds through various AR's and it works in all of them.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Jis Nigel

Ek hoop jy kry lisens vir daai SP1! Die ZARPe is maar taai deesdae, selfs met Versamelaars.

Jou loop-spiraal is 1 in 12" - dieselfde as die R4, so dis perfek vir ons 55gr rondtes. Die Yanks se huidige dienswapen is 1 in 7", wat eintlik vir die NATO SS109 62gr rondtes bedoel is.

Daai SP1s is baie versamelbaar in die VSA, soos jy seker weet. Ironies kan jy dit nie meer daar invoer nie.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow, I think I actually understood most of that!

-Troy
View Quote

Yeah, but with a name like "Nigel" it's highly likely that Nigel didn't. At least no more than the rest of us [:D]

Not all South African whites are Boers after all. There are a few odd Englishers around [:D]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I understood some and my secretary just translated the rest (originally from gloucestershire England)

Yes the fun of licensing in SA

Baie dankie vir die post capeboer
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jis Nigel

Ek hoop jy kry lisens vir daai SP1! Die ZARPe is maar taai deesdae, selfs met Versamelaars.

Jou loop-spiraal is 1 in 12" - dieselfde as die R4, so dis perfek vir ons 55gr rondtes. Die Yanks se huidige dienswapen is 1 in 7", wat eintlik vir die NATO SS109 62gr rondtes bedoel is.

Daai SP1s is baie versamelbaar in die VSA, soos jy seker weet. Ironies kan jy dit nie meer daar invoer nie.

Cheers!
View Quote

for my own curiosity.  it that a derivative of Dutch writing,  or is actually Dutch?...I know the Boers is  Dutch for farmers that settled in SA in the 1600s. just curious if they modified the language. thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#9]
It's Afrikaans and I believe it is very close to Dutch,But I'm no expert I will ask the wife when I get a chance as she is fluent in English and Afrikaans
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Nigel;

200rd. is all you can have under the new laws, yes? Capeboer is correct on his advice as far as I can tell...don't speak Afrikaans.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe that is correct for the man in the street,if however you are a bonafide sportsman you are allowed more but I dont know how much the laws are changing all the time and no one really knows exactly whats going on at the moment its pretty scary and confusing hopefully sanity will prevail although I am not banking on that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top