Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2003 8:33:03 PM EDT
Finally got the barrel free floated.  Here she is in her coyote killing stance.

As soon as I get a vertical grip that fits the FIRSH I'll post the follow up shots in quick acquisition mode.  Any recommendations for the grip?

Edited to add: Thanks Justin for helping me install the FIRSH.  I owe ya one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
[url]http://members.cox.net/daphotoguy/DPMS_V.jpg[/url]

As soon as I get a vertical grip that fits the FIRSH I'll post the follow up shots in quick acquisition mode.  Any recommendations for the grip?

View Quote

Where did you get the upper with no FA of SD?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

It's a DPMS Lo-Pro classic.  Bought it at my local range "The Bullet Hole".
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Beutiful AR !!! But, I disagree with the description of "do all" carbine.  It is an endless pursuit trying to configure a "do all" weapon.  In your case, I would hate for this to be a survival weapon where you hand to carry it -- and carry it with no sling.  My arms are tired just thinking about.  I gotta go rest now [baby]
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

It's a DPMS Lo-Pro classic.  Bought it at my local range "The Bullet Hole".
View Quote

Duh! My bad. Not a bad rifle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Beutiful AR !!! But, I disagree with the description of "do all" carbine.  It is an endless pursuit trying to configure a "do all" weapon.  In your case, I would hate for this to be a survival weapon where you hand to carry it -- and carry it with no sling.  My arms are tired just thinking about.  I gotta go rest now [baby]
View Quote

By "do all" I was meaning it does everything for me I need it to do.  

It's got a sling.  Notice the Knights 1" stock extention with sling mount.  The other sling point is on the other side of the FIRSH.  Both quick release set ups.  I know what you're saying about it being heavy.  My guess is that in this configuration it's around 9.5 pounds.  After carrying around my 30 pound kid all the time, 9.5 seems like a feather.  With a sling that would be NO PROBLEM.  Of course, this isn't the configuration I'd use for TDWMRHOD.  That will not have the bipod or scope.  Instead it would be vertical grip and EoTech.  I'm surprised someone hasn't screamed out about the old "taboo" against flip down sights.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:28:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Love the picture, but as on many occasions the full pleasure of somebodies work of art is lost on me cos I am new to the game.
As part of the learning process, I usually try to fathom out what a particular abbreviation means. In this instance I haven't a chance :-)

Please assist in my education. What is a "Firsh" or a "TDWMRHOD"???  Knowing would help me appreciate even more the kit on your AR, and perhaps give me some real cred on my next vist to local gunshop :-)

Many thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Please assist in my education. What is a "Firsh" or a "TDWMRHOD"??? Many thanks
View Quote

Afraid I'm not gonna be much help w/ the acronym (one of those home-made ones, I suspect), but here's the info on the Oly FIRSH: [url]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/firsh.htm[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:06:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Love the picture, but as on many occasions the full pleasure of somebodies work of art is lost on me cos I am new to the game.
As part of the learning process, I usually try to fathom out what a particular abbreviation means. In this instance I haven't a chance :-)

Please assist in my education. What is a "Firsh" or a "TDWMRHOD"???  Knowing would help me appreciate even more the kit on your AR, and perhaps give me some real cred on my next vist to local gunshop :-)

Many thanks
View Quote

I'm fairly new to the AR game myself (5 months) but I was active duty Army for 7 years and even went through the SAM31 course (Small Arms Maintenance) so I'm not a stranger to the M16.  Been into firearms since I was 10.  As mr_wilson pointed out, the FIRSH is a "[b]F[/b]ree Floating [b]I[/b]ntegral [b]R[/b]ail [b]S[/b]ystem [b]H[/b]andguard" made by Olympic Arms.  TDWMRHOD = "The day when man rules his own destiny"  [sniper2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It's got a sling.  Notice the Knights 1" stock extention with sling mount.  The other sling point is on the other side of the FIRSH.  Both quick release set ups.  I know what you're saying about it being heavy.  My guess is that in this configuration it's around 9.5 pounds.  After carrying around my 30 pound kid all the time, 9.5 seems like a feather.  With a sling that would be NO PROBLEM.  Of course, this isn't the configuration I'd use for TDWMRHOD.  That will not have the bipod or scope.  Instead it would be vertical grip and EoTech.  I'm surprised someone hasn't screamed out about the old "taboo" against flip down sights.
View Quote

Hey, I have a 30 pound kid too. Where can I find a good sling to carry him? [;D]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#10]
im wanting to put a 16" dpms bull barrel on my upper with firsh. you said thanks to justin for the help; are there any tips i might want to know that would help me out?

i think that being used to carrying something heavy is better than being used to carrying something light because then you can do either without a problem.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Sweet setup.  I hope you like the FIRSH as much as I love mine.  The rail covers are good, though, because the FIRSH has some jagged edges.  I have an AAC foregrip on mine, works great and only $24.95 to boot!  It does require a bit of tweaking to secure it, though.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
im wanting to put a 16" dpms bull barrel on my upper with firsh. you said thanks to justin for the help; are there any tips i might want to know that would help me out?

i think that being used to carrying something heavy is better than being used to carrying something light because then you can do either without a problem.
View Quote

Justin had the tools I needed to do this (barrel nut wrench, reciever block, vice, etc . . .)  It made is easier.  I think you could do it with a barrel nut wrench only but would take more time.  All and all it's a pretty simple procedure that anyone should be able to accomplish.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an AAC foregrip on mine, works great and only $24.95 to boot!  It does require a bit of tweaking to secure it, though.
View Quote

I'm looking for a place to purchase an AAC vertical grip but can't seem to track one down.  What kind of tweaking did it take to secure it?  Can you still attach and remove it easily?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice rifle, DaPhotoGuy...but what about the other configs...let's see them ALL!  

BTW, I took my "Swiss Army Rifle" (my version of what you've got)with some hand loads, and it shot a bunch of sub moa groups at 100 yards.  It liked the 69gr Match King with 23.4gr of 4895 the best, and I've just started to experiment with the loads.  

With the Aimpoint on, it put a butt load of rounds into a quarter sized hole at 25 yards...so right now, it's doing everything I need it to.  

I haven't weighed it (no accurate scale that goes over 2 #), but my guess is it's around 7 1/2 lbs, depending on config).

BTW, the Aetec rocks!

As for the grip, I'm partial to the Hogue, but if you want something a little thicker, try the Sierra Precision.  I put one of those on my DPMS 308, and like it. I was worried that with smallish hands it would be too big, but it seems to fit okay.  

I also snagged on of those PSG-1 style grips...for a dedicated "target only" type rifle it would be okay, but not practical for CQB or anything like that.  

For all around, I recommend the Hogue.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Just another, in the endless sea of "boat anchors" I've seen on this site. What is this incessant need, to hang shit off of these rifles? Why can't you just keep it simple?...

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054028.jpg[/img]

This thing is light, fast, and accurate. It's a model of simplicity, and elegant function. Hits out to 400 yards, are very easily do-able with it. I just don't get this whole trend toward hanging all of that garbage on a rifle that's supposed to be employed quickly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just another, in the endless sea of "boat anchors" I've seen on this site. What is this incessant need, to hang shit off of these rifles? Why can't you just keep it simple?...

[url]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054028.jpg[/url]

This thing is light, fast, and accurate. It's a model of simplicity, and elegant function. Hits out to 400 yards, are very easily do-able with it. I just don't get this whole trend toward hanging all of that garbage on a rifle that's supposed to be employed quickly.
View Quote

Ya know Robar, if ya don't like the rifle, SHUT THE F*&K UP!  Damn!  
[frag]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nice rifle, DaPhotoGuy...but what about the other configs...let's see them ALL!  

BTW, I took my "Swiss Army Rifle" (my version of what you've got)with some hand loads, and it shot a bunch of sub moa groups at 100 yards.  It liked the 69gr Match King with 23.4gr of 4895 the best, and I've just started to experiment with the loads.  

With the Aimpoint on, it put a butt load of rounds into a quarter sized hole at 25 yards...so right now, it's doing everything I need it to.  

I haven't weighed it (no accurate scale that goes over 2 #), but my guess is it's around 7 1/2 lbs, depending on config).

BTW, the Aetec rocks!

As for the grip, I'm partial to the Hogue, but if you want something a little thicker, try the Sierra Precision.  I put one of those on my DPMS 308, and like it. I was worried that with smallish hands it would be too big, but it seems to fit okay.  

I also snagged on of those PSG-1 style grips...for a dedicated "target only" type rifle it would be okay, but not practical for CQB or anything like that.  

For all around, I recommend the Hogue.  
View Quote

Thanks for the comments and helpful gear recommendations.  Don't have the rail covers or vertical grip yet or I'd have posted that version.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

[url]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054028.jpg[/url]

View Quote

Well, if you don't like boat anchors, why did you put that elcan piece of trash on it?  Besides, DaPhotoGuy has that gun set up the way he likes it, for himself.

DaPhotoGuy, you can order the foregrip from AAC themselves.  IIRC, their website is www.advancedarmament.com.  The foregrip has a "friction nipple" in the screwed in insert.  What it does is that the "nipple" portion of the insert locks in the slots of a Picatinney rail.  Now, the FIRSH has the slots, but is relieved in the middle, thus not having no "solid" rails, but rather having the two ends of the rail only.  The problem with this is that the "nipple" portion has nothing to lock onto, thus only becoming only friction-fitted onto the handguard.  What I did was cut a piece of 1/8" aluminum in the shape of a "H" where the legs of the "H" fits into the slots in front of and behind the "nipple" and the center line of the "H" forms the solid middle of the Picatinney rail.  Now, where the "nipple" goes, I just drilled a hole, thus locking it all in.  I wish I had a camera to take a picture of it; it would be much clearer.  If you still can't figure it out, I'll see if I can draw it and scan it and email it to you.  Also, I believe Oly also makes a handguard that goes on the FIRSH.  I don't know how it attaches, but I guess it should fit.  It is somewhat more expensive, though, at $42, but it is made of aluminum.  

Hope this helps, lemme know if you need more clarification.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hope this helps, lemme know if you need more clarification.  

Ghost
View Quote

That was very clear.  I was wondering if that was what you had to do to make it work.  Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#20]
nice red X! [:P]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looked at this thread 2x and both Ive seen his photo...just like Im doing right now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Looked at this thread 2x and both Ive seen his photo...just like Im doing right now.
View Quote

Try it now.  My photo server must have run out of bandwidth.  You'll have to hit F5 to refresh your screen.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree, My arms get tyred from carrying arround a 7lb rifle all day deer hunting, try lugging that backbreaker arround for a day.

Keep it light and simple.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it neccessary to knock someone else's new rifle??  someone just spend their hard earned money in building something he loves and just want to post it for the board member to see and you come on and kick the crap out of his creation and give high prises to your own rifle.  it is just bad really bad manner.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
...Well, if you don't like boat anchors, why did you put that elcan piece of trash on it?  

Ghost
View Quote

I got news for you. This piece of trash has been 4 different rifles now. It's seen over a dozen tactical schools, and tens of thousands of rounds...It's [b]NEVER[/b] missed a beat. The same can't be said for a number of other "quality" optics. I've seen a bunch of things on top of these rifles fail...Trijicons, USO SN-12s ans SN-4s, EO-Tech Holosights, Aimpoint ML2s, you name it, I've seen it fail in a school environment. Of the three other ELCANs I've seen, besides mine, nota one has hiccuped. That's good enough for me.

Edit...And let's get something strait, I am [b]NOT[/b] knocking DaPhoto's gun. He's got it rigged for...whatever, and that's what he likes. What I'm knocking is this silly trend of hanging all this garbage off of these rifles. You quickly turn a nice, light, 7-8 pound rifle, into something weighing in at over 12 pounds. Have any of you ever gone through a 5-day tactical course with one of those slung around your neck? By the end of the second day, my little rifle would be looking good to most of you. Now [b]THAT[/b], is the truth.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#26]
"What I'm knocking is this silly trend of hanging all this garbage off of these rifles. You quickly turn a nice, light, 7-8 pound rifle, into something weighing in at over 12 pounds. Have any of you ever gone through a 5-day tactical course with one of those slung around your neck?"

Exaggeration doesn't help your case any. I have 13 AR rifles and carbines. They are not all set up for the same purpose. My main "go to" AR has all this garbage hanging off of it, it has the Aimpoint, it has the tac sling, it has the RAS II, it has the Surefire 910A light and guess what ? It weighs a little over 8 pounds according to my bathroom scale. And to answer your question, yes I have been through two five day carbine classes and one four day carbine class with it. I was thrilled to tears about it. These classes confirmed my selection of gear. The purpose of a given rifle is whatever the owner intends it to be. In your myopic view, you assume everyone has the same intentions, needs, and purpose for their rifle that you do. My current AR project is the upgrade of my Bushmaster Varmiteer. This is a 24", heavy barrelled, scoped varmint rifle built on the AR15 platform. It isn't intended to be light, or fast handling. It isn't intended for day dreaming about combat. But, it will be TERRIFIC for it's intended purpose.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What I'm knocking is this silly trend of hanging all this garbage off of these rifles. You quickly turn a nice, light, 7-8 pound rifle, into something weighing in at over 12 pounds. Have any of you ever gone through a 5-day tactical course with one of those slung around your neck? By the end of the second day, my little rifle would be looking good to most of you. Now [b]THAT[/b], is the truth.
View Quote

Quoted:
I agree, My arms get tyred from carrying arround a 7lb rifle all day deer hunting, try lugging that backbreaker arround for a day.
View Quote

I haven't taken any tactical courses (in my civilian life).  I can say that in basic training I humped a 20 mile road march (and we were making GOOD time) with a M16 in my hands the entire time, no problem.  Yes, the M16 was lighter than my [b]maybe[/b] 10 pounder, but I'm not taking it on a 20 mile road march either.  Maybe ya all should just get in better shape.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#28]
RobarSR60, I wasn't really trying to knock your ELCAN, poor choice of wording on my part, I suppose (for that I apologize).  But, hanging stuff off an AR isn't a mortal sin, its about customization.  Different gun, different purpose.  While an AR can be a lightweight carbine, it too can be a heavy, high magnification varmint gun.  It all depends on purpose.  DaPhotoGuy set up his gun to be a "coyote killing" machine (re: first line).  That said, I don't think he will be humping that gun for a 3-day tactical course.  My current AR has a lightweight barrel, free floated to maximize accuracy out of it, and plain iron sights.  Weight: less than 6.5lbs.  

Ghost  
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice rifle, and I'm glad YOU (the only one that matters) like it! If I may make a suggestion: Since it's a varmint shooter, try a pistol grip with a web extension, such as an ergo grip, fobus G27, etc. This'll improve the placement of your trigger finger, giving much better trigger control. That is, if ya got long fingers like I do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice rifle, and I'm glad YOU (the only one that matters) like it! If I may make a suggestion: Since it's a varmint shooter, try a pistol grip with a web extension, such as an ergo grip, fobus G27, etc. This'll improve the placement of your trigger finger, giving much better trigger control. That is, if ya got long fingers like I do.
View Quote

Thanks.  Is it easy to switch out grips on an AR?  I also use the gun for three gun matches an I'm not sure if varmint grips work well for that.  I also need to get a little trigger work done.  [red]stingerjg[/red] tells me that he has a spring replacement kit that will make the trigger lighter for only $3.  As this is a "do all" gun for me, I'm a little concerned about making the trigger to light for a tactical trigger (did that make sense?).

When I feel this barrel is worn out (yea right) or I win the lottery, or someone begs me to sell them my 16" DPMS barrel (not gonna happen) I'm going to purchase an M4 profile barrel for it to shave a little weight.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 2:37:34 AM EDT
[#31]
DaPhotoGuy...always remember, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"...carry on!
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

What taboo about flip up sights? I like my ARMS #40 rear, I kept the standard front though. But I bet we have different uses for our ARs so thus different needs and set ups. If it fits yer needs and does what ya need it to do who cares if the sights are flip ups.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#33]
A M60 sling might work but one of those Burley running/jogging strollers work great.  They make a great temporary brace for firing too.[LOL]
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A M60 sling might work but one of those Burley running/jogging strollers work great.  They make a great temporary brace for firing too.[LOL]
View Quote

[ROFL]  Damn, that was so funny.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#35]
The "OTHER" config for my "do all" carbine.

[img]http://members.cox.net/daphotoguy/DPMS_Q.jpg[/img]  

I'm thinking I should have gone with the OD Green rail covers.  I wanted them to stand out but not really THIS much.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#36]
How did you get that awesome blue background ?  Photoshop ??

I like the background.  The carbine is nice too !!!  [bounce]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Gosh, can I baby-sit one weekend?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How did you get that awesome blue background ?  Photoshop ??

I like the background.  The carbine is nice too !!!  [bounce]
View Quote

Yea, that's from an image editing program I have called PhotoImpact.  Very similar to Photoshop.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top