Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2003 11:52:28 AM EDT
Ok I got my first AR lower today and I want to attach my upper to it.  So I pushed out the push pins.  They move outta the way and I slip the upper in the slots.  But the catch is, I cannot seem to get the pins to go back in.  I do not want to break them, but I am surprised they do not slip back in with the force I used.

Upon closer inspection there are little metal nubs that catch the pin as it moves outward to stop their travel.  How do I get these to retract so that I can push the pins back in?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Matt, don't take those pins out!!

Make sure that when you pull the pins all the way back as if you were going to attatch the upper that they are at least flush with the lower. If they are, put the upper back in and you will have to wiggle the upper and hold the lower still but it will go. The pivot pin should go first. Once you get that in the close the upper on the lower and the takedown pin should slide right in.

The metal nubs are to keep the pins from coming out and loosing them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok that's where I am at.  Right now the pins are being held by the little metal nubs.  But they still wont let the pin go back in.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I got the front pin in but the back one is still giving me problems.  JCox, that wiggle method worked to get the front one in.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have some, try spraying some RemOil w/Teflon on the pin or regular gun oil.

If you leave the upper sticking up in the air now and not closed, will the pin go in?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]
If so, pull the pin back out, close the upper and while putting a little pressure pushing the pin in, try and wiggle the upper like you did the pivot pin. It may take some of that for a while til you get it broke in some.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok I finally got it.  But it took a lot of wiggling both the upper and the pin itself.  Thanks JCox for the help.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Matt,

Had the same problem with mine.  Sounds like yours was tougher to get in than mine, but same basic thing.  I did the gun oil thing and just did the in-out-in-out thing once I had them both in(the sick minds need not comment[;D]). After a few times they should go out and back in fairly easily.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Matt,

IF, and I mean IF you were pull the pin out again, you notice that right before it stops it will "snap" a little. You can hear it and feel it. There is a little notch in there that keeps you from pulling the pin all the way out. It will take some working in and out to get it to work smoothly. My bushy was like that. I was excited about getting one that I was constantly taking it down and looking at the workings and now it is smooth as silk.

Glad I could be of some help. I'm usually the one asking for it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top