Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2003 3:17:48 PM EDT
I have a shaved front sight{preban} and I want to install a regular A2 type front sight{preban}. Can anyone tell me if this is something that I can do or do I need to send it to a gunsmith?  Bushmaster told me that they would do it for $70.00+shipping.  I have worked on my guns before but I have never taken the front sight off my ar-15 before.
Any help would be great.
thanks for your time
wendelin

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to punch out the gas tube pin in the front sight and remove the tube,then drift out the 2 pins in the base housing unscrew the supressor and remove or just get the bushmaster folding modular front sight that will go right over your base and no modifications its only 10 or 20 dollars more than replacing the whole front sight and I assume you have a flattop,you can get a pop up[ rear sight also.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem is that at the factory the undrilled sight is mated to the undrilled barrel in a jig and then the two are drilled and reamed togher.  There is no assurance that the holes on a new sight base would line up with the holes in your barrel.  In fact a new sight base is probably not even drilled, so you would have to locate and drill the holes to match your barrel's holes -- no easy task.  However, Fulton armory makes a sight base that uses set screws.  You might get that to work.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
If its bushmaster made then it will fit to a bushmaster barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Armalite has a front sight tower that essentially clamps on the barrel.  It should be pretty easy to fit, but I’m just not sure if it’s internal diameter will match the Bushmaster barrel.

Admittedly, you may not like the appearance of the two screws and their lugs at the bottom of this tower.

Note that the pins on your existing tower are almost certainly tapered, so drive them out from the correct side!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless it's either a bull barrel or an ultra light pencil barrel, all barrels are the same size at the gas port and all the different front sight bases/gas blocks will fit on any barrel.  The only thing you've got to worry about is getting it lined up straight and keeping it that way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#6]
The machinest at the factory just eyeballs center on the flats on the side of the sight base and drills no two a necessarily the same.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The machinest at the factory just eyeballs center on the flats on the side of the sight base and drills no two a necessarily the same.
View Quote

I don't understand what you mean here.  I thought that there is only one hole drilled into a barrel at the front site, the gas hole.

The pins that hold the front site in place do not go through the barrel, but under it.
View Quote
Do you think those taper pins keep the front sight on by magic?  They most certainly go through the barrel.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't understand what you mean here.  I thought that there is only one hole drilled into a barrel at the front site, the gas hole.

The pins that hold the front site in place do not go through the barrel, but under it.
View Quote
Do you think those taper pins keep the front sight on by magic?  They most certainly go through the barrel.  
View Quote

Sorry, speaking out of my ass.  I'll erase my post.  I honestly thought that it was just a friction fit.  

If the machinist can put the holes  just  anywhere, then how do you install all the aftermarket rail gas blocks/front sites?  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top