Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 2:55:34 PM EDT
  I just came from the equipment exchange board and noticed there's a shit-load of pre-bans for sale. Not necessarily any cheaper either. Mostly Colts but others as well. I think it's kind of funny that everyone who thought they had gold on their hands is now trying to scrap it while they can before the ban comes up for renewal. It kinda pisses me off strictly because I don't see much point in paying twice as much for something they got for straight price ten years ago (or however old it is).
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It kinda pisses me off strictly because I don't see much point in paying twice as much for something they got for straight price ten years ago.
View Quote

So are you saying that everyone bought theirs before the ban? I had a few AR-15's in the late '80s, but sold them off before I even knew the '94 ban was coming. I ended up buying a pre-ban Colt a couple of years ago at current prices like a lot of guys. Mine is now long gone; not to turn a profit before the ban sunsets, but to help fund the purchase of a transferable M16.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My point is that it is not coincidence that there is twice as many pre-bans for sale now than there were just a few months ago. I don't think this is coincidence, and furthermore, do you believe they paid the same price for it as they are asking for it now ? All I am saying is that it is my opinion that these people are just trying to be greedy by attempting to get rid of these guns while they can still get twice as much as they paid for them years ago.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I sold a Colt 6700 flat top preban (cost $740)and an Olyarms preban carbine (cost about $500), just so happens to be before the sunset. I also am selling an SP1 locally. May as well maximize the profit on these things, if they have to go anyway.  I won't miss them.  Just have to let things go.

I have 2 boys 13 and 16.  Need dough for private school, teenager car, band instruments, etc.....

My Colt M16A1 carbine will NEVER be sold while I have anything to say about it, though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm still not buying the sunset.  I still think the guv'ment will renew it or institute another ban.

Can't conceive the feds letting something so politically sensitive get shelved.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I sold a Colt 6700 flat top preban (cost $740)and an Olyarms preban carbine (cost about $500), just so happens to be before the sunset. I also am selling an SP1 locally. May as well maximize the profit on these things, if they have to go anyway.  I won't miss them.  Just have to let things go.

I have 2 boys 13 and 16.  Need dough for private school, teenager car, band instruments, etc.....

My Colt M16A1 carbine will NEVER be sold while I have anything to say about it, though.
View Quote

I hope those boys have their own ARs to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Captilist pigs, they should be hung for trying to make profit..... The very idea of buy low, sell high is the basis of our modern economy. I try to look the current situation of Pre-ban AR's like the stock market, if the ban is lifted and you didn't sell then it's a financial loss. If you buy/don't sell and the ban stays then your investment will grow. If I and I'm sure you would have known that buying Glock and HK pistol mags at $10 ea in the 1990's would have ment that you could make a return on your money of 700%-900% you would have taken out a loan and bought hundreds of thosands. I see you point really I do Womb but how many Yenko Camaro's would you have bought in the 1960's or Action Comics #1 knowing what there worth is, could or would be......

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Simple, not wanting to wait till the last minute I sold all my prebans in 99.  Replaced with post bans. I miss nothing I had before and have lost no usefulness.  I did ofer a guy $500 for a used preban bushie this weekend, I touhght it was more than fair for a used rifle.  He wasn't interested, but oh well.  Thats all it was worth to me.  If the ban comes or goes, I'm still not impressed with the banned features.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm still not buying the sunset.  I still think the guv'ment will renew it or institute another ban.
View Quote

That's what I'm betting on too.  And I have a gut feeling it will be modelled along the lines of the recent PRK state ban.[V]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can't conceive the feds letting something so politically sensitive get shelved.
View Quote

My money is on a list of "assault weapons" being reclassified as NFA.  Hell, Clinton did that with the Streetsweeper and USAS-12 with the stroke of a pen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And I have a gut feeling it will be modelled along the lines of the recent PRK state ban.[V]
View Quote

Damn I hope not!!!
Now I won't be able to sleep tonight [>Q]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently purchased my first pre-ban, an SP-1. Sure it was overpriced like any other pre-ban but I believe if there is a pre-ban AR that will hold more of it's value in any situation, the SP-1 will.
And I do think gun laws will only become stricter, it's only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 2 prebans, one is a Colt 16" that I just like no matter what it is worth and the other is an unfired Sendra that was sent to Author John Ross who wrote Unintended Consequences that I just purchased from him. The Colt is a shooter the Sendra is a safe queen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
It's nice to see such a wide selection of prebans up for sale on the EE. I would never sell mine but I don't see any problem with another member wanting to make money on a sale. Unfortunately there will be a few states that have thier own AWB after the federal sunset and there will always be a market, albeit a smaller one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I recently purchased my first pre-ban, an SP-1. Sure it was overpriced like any other pre-ban but I believe if there is a pre-ban AR that will hold more of it's value in any situation, the SP-1 will.
And I do think gun laws will only become stricter, it's only a matter of time.
View Quote

I agree with you.  I have some SP1s and love em.  There is nothing like a vintage rifle, especially if it has wood furniture.... [:D]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#15]
BTW, call me old fashioned but there is no way there won't be a replacement to the AWB.  I just don't buy it.  I think all these people selling off their prebans in anticipation of it lapsing and not being rplaced are nutty.  When it gets closer, there will be major pushes to replace it.  I hate to be a fatalist but we will not go back to pre-94.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Gee whiz, you don't suppose any increase in the number of pre-bans being advertised for sale in the EE in any way correlates to the increased number of people talking about corporate cutbacks, job cuts, and unemployment in some of the other forums, now do you? [rolleyes]

I don't care if any of my pre-ban ARs are worth their weight in gold or scrap metal. I bought them at prices I was quite comfortable with and view them as tools and objects to be enjoyed, not investments. If I had to sell an AR right now, my single post-ban example would be the one to go.

90% of the replies in this thread, including the original post, sound like sour grapes. And anyone who says flash suppression has no usefullness is just a fool.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have purchased several from listings on this board. Most people sell for a BUNCH less! then listed....I have purchased Preban colts for 800 on this board and Preban Bushy for 600 complete.....So people are asking a shit load then drop their shorts like a cheap hooker
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#18]
The nice thing about it is, you can make money on this AWB debate by buying pre-bans from panicked sellers, selling pre-bans to pessimists, etc.

Personally,  I see this happening:  
Bush gets re-elected.  
The house AND senate go Republican, AND half the supreme court resigns and Bush replaces them with conservatives.  
The Democrats hav already given up on more gun laws, so there is no way in hell a new AWB will pass.  
So I am going to wait to buy any hi-cap mags or bayonet lugs.  
But it is fun to watch the hysteria.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't care if any of my pre-ban ARs are worth their weight in gold or scrap metal. I bought them at prices I was quite comfortable with and view them as tools and objects to be enjoyed, not investments.
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better myself.  I bought my prebans before 94.  Here in Kommiefornia, you don't dare sell, not even a postban- not because its illegal, but because you'll never be able to replace it.  Once its gone, its gone for good here.  Unless you want that hideous FAB-10 thing.  

My boys are barely out of diapers, but as far as I'm concerned the safe has their names on it now.  Lowers aren't going anywhere no matter what they will be worth later.  The way I see it, they're heirlooms.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#20]
It's not about federal laws anymore. It's what the individual states or cities are going to pass on their own. You people need to wake up and stop thinking on the federal level. Do you know that the city of Denver has a ban on military style rifles similar to California? Is that the only city to do so? I thought that in California once the owner of a registered weapon dies that the weapon cannot be transfered to their heirs. It must be turned into the state and destroyed. Can someone please explain.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's not about federal laws anymore. It's what the individual states or cities are going to pass on their own. You people need to wake up and stop thinking on the federal level.
View Quote

[b]True - That's why the RKBA HAS to be
validated by SCOTUS - God Willing[/b]
[img]http://images.ar15.com/forums/smiles/smiley_noSmile.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#22]
In response to jimtash9:

I believe you are right.  The dept of justice in california estimates that only 15% of the owners of AW actually registed theirs.  I am one of the 15%.  I can take any of my four AW and shoot at any range in California.  But, when i die, if I still own these, instructions will be to give them to my brothers kids or have them sent to family in another state to sell.  No way is the state going to confiscate my property. Even when I am dead.  Unless they have someone checking the notices of when folks die, they will never know to come and look.  California law sucks.  If I make it to retirement, I will die in another state other than California.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Womb..
No flame here just a serious question,

If you bought a Colt AR15 before the ban and paid $560 for it then,. and you just got bored with it or wanted a new one, would you sell it fo $500 because it was used, or ever $560 because that is what you paid, OR would you look at the going price and sell it at or around that price?  My money is on the latter, you are not that nice of a guy and if you are then please feel free to email me with a $500 preban, cause the check is in the mail.  It is the way the world turns, not bad, evil or greed.  If you are selling batteries and flashlights for $50 in a blackout that, is wrong, asking the going rate for a firearm is perfectly fine with me.  I dont own a preban, I may eventually, but I cannot justify it right now.  Already have 3 post bans and a bayo lug and FH are not worth an extra $400 to me since I am not hiding in the weeds taking potshots at anyone, and sure as hell dont see myself doing any drive by bayonettings, at least not this summer. [;D]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I know personally if I was sitting on several pre bans right now I would trying to move them as well. I would take the proceeds from the sales of the pre bans and purchase post bans and ammo or something of the like. By doing this you could really build your arsenal up quick. If the AWB goes away then your pre bans are just rifles again. If something worse comes down the road than the AWB then you need as many as you can get.[}:D] Perhaps I just need to replace my tin foil.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's not about federal laws anymore. It's what the individual states or cities are going to pass on their own.
View Quote

Speak for your own state. I live in Texas, and if it was not for Federal Laws an M16A1 would go for $700, and an RDIAS for under $100.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#26]
so what would be a good price to pay for a pre-ban lower?---I was thinking of picking one up--hopefully the prices will drop some with the upcoming sunset---which I don't think is gonna happen, although I hope like heck that it does
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#27]
How much? that's the million dollar question. There seems to be a huge amount of variability in the prices- I've seen complete rifles sell for $800, and then other very similar ones advertised for $1500... but I don't know what they actually sell for.
I'm in the market for one, but I can't buy one for twice the cost of a post-ban gun. More power to those that can! I guess I'll have to find a motivated seller...
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been watching these prices for awhile now. I have noticed two trends in complete rifles.

The Pre Bans at $1200+ are not moving very well, if at all.

The Post Bans have fallen, and we are seeing them for under $500.

Should this trend continue, and the AWB continue to appear dead, I predict we will see prebans for under $1000 complete, and Post bans for $450, all day long.

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't believe that $450 would even buy much of a post-ban. Must be total frankenguns with components of dubious origins or a bottom feeder like Hesse or Oly's Plinker model.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I can't believe that $450 would even buy much of a post-ban. Must be total frankenguns with components of dubious origins or a bottom feeder like Hesse or Oly's Plinker model.
View Quote

Well, personally I dont put Hesse and Oly in the same basket. I have never heard much of anything good about Hesse, but a lot of people like the Olys (except the AR snobs[;)]). Nevertheless, the rifles are out there...

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=177526]One complete rifle $480 ASA Lower/J&T Kit/KKF work[/url]

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=175491]And even a PreBan Lower for $530[/url]

If you figure the Mega's are out there for 80, and complete kits for 400, both retail prices, the manufacturers [i]can[/i] produce a complete rifle for [b]much[/b] less...

When we are no longer in a buying frenzy, like now, the prices will start to fall [b]even more[/b] than they have.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My point is that it is not coincidence that there is twice as many pre-bans for sale now than there were just a few months ago. I don't think this is coincidence, and furthermore, do you believe they paid the same price for it as they are asking for it now ? All I am saying is that it is my opinion that these people are just trying to be greedy by attempting to get rid of these guns while they can still get twice as much as they paid for them years ago.
View Quote

You seem to be implying that there is something wrong with "greed"...If you had a preban and wanted to sell it I'm sure you would be asking market price for it -- so it's a little hypocritical to criticize others for doing it.

And if you try to say that you would sell a preban for the price of a postban (so as NOT to be greedy), then you would be a liar as well.

So quit sounding like one of those liberal, anti-corporation whiners...we have enough of them in this country.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#32]
jimtash9,

Denver had an assault weapon ban. However the state legislature voted in a preemption law that makes that commie law null and void. I can have a pre-ban AR-15 strapped on my back and a concealed carry pistol under my coat on the 16th Street Mall and the cops can't do shit legally.

By the way I am glad that POS Wellington Web  is gone. Don't let the door hit you you POS big city, liberal mayor.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Nothing wrong with someone buying something for $1 and trying to sell it for $3.  It's the American way.  If you don't think it's worth $3, look elsewhere.  Look around, you'll see cars, trucks, houses, etc all priced over the norm.

However, uping the price for an item due to disaster/catastrophy circumstances, now that's where I draw the line.  ie: wanting $10 for a $1.50 bag of ice.

Sure, there are those who will "roll the dice" and sell their Pre-bans in hopes that the ban will go away, thus they can get 1 1/2 guns for the price of one.

Sure, there will be those who believe the ban is not going anywhere so either they won't sell or if they have to, they will ask for max dollar.

Me, I have pre and post bans.  I have begun to collect lowers, tele-stocks, and misc parts waiting to see whats going to happen.

No one should be bitching about what another guy wants for something he owns...period!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#34]
If you think that's bad go to [url]www.gunbroker.com[/url] and search for prebans.  People wanting $2500.00 for prebans that I can buy locally all day for $1300.00.  IMO they are just trying to screw someone who doesn't know any better before the ban sunsets.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Just wait on a few more snipings to happen, then see if the ban gets repealed. It would be political suicide to let the ban fade because of all the media attention and then the outcome will be reversed. Next year is an election year and can you picture this; so and so is in favor of letting criminals have access to these weapons of mass destruction by not voting to extend the '94 crime bill. Vote for me and I will make our streets safe again by banning them completely. After that, I think most of the politicians in favor of letting the AWB fade will look out for their own asses, not ours.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought my Pre-ban Sporter Lightwieght, made in '91, from a friend that is a Doctor, for $800 2 years ago...I guess he was not looking to over charge me.....[bounce]

On a serious note, I have spent the last 3 weeks surfing the web, hanging out here, and calling people I know in the industry asking questions about the AWB, what they will do if it sunsets, and seriously thinking about posting mine for sale or trade....

I like my pre-ban, and yes I did pay only $800 for it..the best thing is that if the ban sunsets, I do not have a ton of money into it to lose....
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#37]
when they lift the ban (that will happen)where talking goverment  guys that do not know semiauto from auto. but they have seen it in a movie once. I am going to buy the shortest flash suepressed largest mag collpsed stock//// no stock bayo luged 3shoot burst autoselect and every thing else u could think of on a colt. Because it will not last long and when we are on the post pre post post ban i will be a millionair

i was so pumped up i spelled everything wrong
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#38]
when they lift the ban (that will happen)where talking goverment  guys that do not know semiauto from auto. but they have seen it in a movie once. I am going to buy the shortest flash suepressed largest mag collpsed stock//// no stock bayo luged 3shoot burst autoselect and every thing else u could think of on a colt. Because it will not last long and when we are on the post pre post post ban i will be a millionair

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

3 round burst? Keep dreaming, thats not part of the '94 AWB.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top