Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 6:48:38 AM EDT
Hello everyone. I am a new member and this is my first post. I have never owned an AR15 variant but am interested in purchasing one for plinking and just general goofing off. I don't need anything tactical or setup for defense. I just want a basic military issue style rifle. I was looking at Bushmaster's and DPMS's guns, but they are sort of expensive. I then saw Rock River Arms website. They have a "Standard A2" which seems right up my alley. Does anyone know anything about this company and their guns? They seem to be of good quality from what I can tell. Should my local gun shop be able to order from them? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a sweet little RRA from ADCO [url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url].  Its a 16" flattop, chrome lined, lightweight M4 barrel.  Talk to Steve, he can put together whatever you want...

If you want a Bushmaster, these are pretty good prices... [url]http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Bushmaster_Rifles.html[/url]

Get a flattop instead of an A2, you're going to want to get into optics...
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got an RRA 20" A2 and a 24" Varminter. Real nice. I am thinking of putting their match trigger on my A2. That trigger is sweet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the board!

I ordered my first AR-15 recently, and it is a Rock River Arms (RRA) model.  I haven't received it yet, but I have heard very good things about RRA from the people on this board.

As far as a dealer goes, you might try calling RRA (I have talked to Steve) and asking for a recommenndation from them for a dealer in your area.  Technically, I think that RRA can deliver to any FFL that is registered with them, but not every dealer has (or will) go through that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome Aboard!

MM419
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Your local shop can order direct as that's how RRA does business.  They sell direct to FFL's, not to distributors, as far as I know.  Be prepared to wait a while if you go that route though.  The standard rifle may be a shorter wait.

If your dealer will do it, you can contact Steve at ADCO, as mentioned above, and perhaps get things much faster.  He keeps his website up to date pretty well as far as what his stock is at any given time, so check it out.

The RRA rifles I've seen are very well put together and are a rich black like Armalite/Eagle Arms rifles.  

The standard A2 seems to me to be the perfect starting out AR 15 variant also.  Good luck in your search for your AR.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]
ADCO Firearms has a great web site, you know what is in stock and Steve ships at warp speed!
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#7]
RRA is first rate in my book. Fit and finish equal my Armalite.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
RRA makes an excellent AR15. It works great and looks great too. I have a 16" flattop from them(which I actually bought in a deal on this site), and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it.

You won't be disappointed if you get one. You'll most likely be ecstatic! But be prepared to spend more, because you'll want another and another, and another.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the speedy replies and all of the info!

I noticed on the adco site that he sells RRA parts. How hard is it to build an AR? Do I need any special tools? I have plenty of experience with pistols (been shooting for years), shotguns (pumps and semis), AK's and bolt rifles.

Also, what is the cost difference? I know RRA's site says $825.00 MSRP, but I figured I could get it for less than that through my dealer (good customer), so how would building one compare pricewise?

If I decided to build one, what materials would I need (like manuals or books)? Does anyone have a good list of web info on building you own AR?

Thanks again for all of the help!
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome!
A RRA is a very nice rifle indeed!

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#11]
You'll spend what you save in getting the tools you need to build one yourself. However it's easy and fun to build your own AR. Then build another, and another and .....[:D]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently bought my first AR-15 and picked up a nice RRA from a local FFL.  I love it!! As far as I've noticed it shoots just as well as the Colts I fire in the military.  Enjoy!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top