Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2003 5:52:51 AM EDT
Just got my newest toy. 20" Bushmaster A3. I love the removeable handle and I love this rifle in general, absolutely beautiful. i cannot wait to get to the range. I saw some really cool A2 type muzzle brakes in the brownells catalog that I think I'd like to add on. The thread on type. What is the best route for threading the barrel to solder on a brake? Do the pin on brakes do any good and do they stay on? There is no way I am dimpling this barrel. This rifle is awesome. i thought I loved my pre-ban Oly but this rifle is the goods!!! Can't wait to get optics.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Good choice. The Bushmaster 20" A3 was my first choice when I got back into the AR-15 game after quite a few years away from it. It's long since been sold to buy a pre-ban Colt, which has also been sold to buy an M16.

As for brakes, it's probably going to be a lot easier to send it off to someone like Kurt's Kustom to have it installed right. As much as you treasure this rifle, I wouldn't do it myself unless I was really capable.

Take it out and enjoy it. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats, on your new Bushmaster, look forward to range reports.
I have a new Bushy A2 shorty & think its awsome, not to mention accurate.

Im also looking to add a muzzle brake, been looking around for one, I seem to like preban muzzle brakes, but have to settle for a postban muzzle brake.

TG
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on your new purchase.  The A3 is a very good platform.  Maybe you should try to make it something like the M16A4 fielded by the Marine Corps.  It has the RAS freefloated handguard and comes with a Trijicon sights.

[marines]

Max
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Congrats on your new purchase.  The A3 is a very good platform.  Maybe you should try to make it something like the M16A4 fielded by the Marine Corps.  It has the RAS freefloated handguard and comes with a Trijicon sights.

[marines]

Max
View Quote

Funny you say that, that's what i was thinking. As far as the A2 brake i found in the brownells catalog, I'm wondering if I should just wait until next September to see if I can put a real flas suppresor on it. Not that I would ever, ever do it and I mean it I wouldn't but what are the penalties for flash hiders on post bans? Seriously, I abide by the law and wouldn't do it but curious. Any other suggestions on who could thread the barrel for the brake?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I just fired my first NRA HighPower match today with a stock Bushmaster AR 20".  The only modification I did was to fill the stock cavity with lead balls for weight.  I managed to shoot a 755-11x out of a possible 800 on a 200yd range.  Yes, they do shoot good!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Go Bushy !
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just fired my first NRA HighPower match today with a stock Bushmaster AR 20".  The only modification I did was to fill the stock cavity with lead balls for weight.  I managed to shoot a 755-11x out of a possible 800 on a 200yd range.  Yes, they do shoot good!
View Quote

Outstanding. I'm tellin' ya, nicest AR I have ever handled. I held a Colt an Armalite and the the Bushy at the shop. The Bushy is the finest by far, by a long shot. I am really a FAL man at heart but I have been going through an AR kick lately. I can't be happier. Still need to figure out what to do in regards to a muzzle brake. An AR no matter how nice it is just looks weird with the naked muzzle. What grain were you using in the match? 1 in 9 on the 20" right? I'm trying to determine the best round. I have an OLY pre-ban I just rebuilt with a 1 in 9 20" A2 upper. I shoot 55gr Remington. Very, very tight groups. Did you break your barrel in? I have to admit I never do and I have never ever had an accuracy or cleaning problem. And by the way, outstanding shooting!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top