Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2003 8:04:38 PM EDT
Alrighty I decided to take your advice and not get a night vision device, and instead get a flashlight mounted on my AR.
Now alot of you told me to get a Surefire, but which model?? I'm looking through their site and some of these damn things are over $500!!!
Money is an issue, so i've been looking at G2 Nitrolon model (which is a comfortable $30). It's a personal light, but can i mount it on my AR (without the use of tape)? is this advisable? Are there other brands out there cheaper than surefire? I want something decent in the G2 price range
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
surefire is the way tog o...stay off their web site except for browsing at pics.  there are many dealers here that'll hook you up well below SF's prices.

i currently have a 6p with Shock Isolated bezel on mine until I save up for the m900.  I put about 300-400 rounds through the AR with the 6p.  It is a decent enough light.  I finally went with the s.i. bezel since without it the abtteries can slam into the lamp and blow it out.  It wasn't a problem, yet...and I didn't want it to be one.

the light, s.i. bexel and a GG&G mounting ring set me back about $110.  I've heard the G2 will work with the same set up, but I all ready had the 6p before I got the AR.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the gun going to be used for home defense or other serious work?  If so, skip the 6P or G2 or any other handheld light mounted on the rifle.  The shock isolated bezel will hold the light off from failure for awhile, but is still not as rugged as a dedicated weapons light because it was not designed for it.  

You can get weapons lights from surefire for around $300.  These can be rail mounted, barrel mounted, or front sight mounted.  

My suggestion, get a Classic weapons light without mount (not listed on the Surefire website, but you can call andd request it) for around $200, a Fobus M33 handguard system or a under rail that fits on the existing handguards, and either one inch rings or a Fobus Surefire mount to mount the light on the rail.  This whole system should cost between $250 and $300.  Far less than the foregrip/handguard Surefire systems or a night vision setup.

The handguard rail and the one inch QD rings can be purchased from [url=http://www.advanced-armament.com/ar-15.html]Advanced Armament[/url].  Thge Fobus setup can be found at Lippman Enterprises and CMMG, both of which are listed in the industry section on these boards.  A third option is a [url=http://gggaz.com/products/dandd.php]Down and Dirty flashlight mount[/url] from GG&G.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry but I can't resist. You go from considering a night vision device to a $30 flashlight. That is quite a leap.

If you want the cheapest possible option, buy the flashlight. Screw the tailcap in till it turns on, then back it off just enough so that the light goes off. Then hold the light in your weak hand. Grasp the rifle handguard with the flashlight on the weak side of the gun with the light pressed between your fingers and the handguard. If you press the side of the flashlight against the handguard, the light will come on. Release the pressue with your fingers and the light goes off.
Another option with the Surefire is to press the tailcap switch against the mag well.

I personally bought a Surefire 910A weaponslight, but I realize this is an expensive proposition and is not for everyone.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with 444.  You said in your earlier post that you were willing to spend up to $500 on a NV setup.  I understand that a flashlight in the hundreds of dollars seems ridiculous to the uninitiated, but trust me, it makes a difference.  The performance, ruggedness, and versatility of a Surefire Weapons Light is incomparable.  A $200, $300, $400, or more Surefire light will serve you well far beyond any of the other brands out there and will be far more rugged and reliable being mounted on a weapon than even there own handheld lights.  I think you will find that they are worth the cost and far better than the lower cost options and definitly better and more useful than a sub $500 NV device (or even sub $1500 for that matter).
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I just seem to have a hard time getting over the steep price for a flashlight. I mean i'd be able/willing to spend over 500 for a NV device, but all a flashlight does to me is connect a lightbulb to a battery. However i see your point about their ruggedness, so i will look into what surefire has to offer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I grant you that a flashlight is not particularly a high tech device, but as flashlights go, this isn't just your common everyday flashlight.
First of all, it is much brighter than the common flashlight. Then it has a much higer quality of beam. It is also rugged enough to handle the abuse it is going to be asked to take. It is built in a chasis that combines a mount that allows it to be attached to a rail and also gives you a very nice foregrip. I recently paid, $100 for a foregrip without a light. Don't discount the rail mounting. This is one of the best features of the light to me. For one thing, I can add or remove the light at will. The light adds weight to the rifle, but if I don't need the light, I can easily remove it. A second benefit to the mounting system is that I can buy one light and use it on any of my AR15s that have a rail system. On with the features. This light has two LED lights for those times when you need some light to see, but don't want to fire up the big light. Then their are the switches. You have a momentary on switch located on either side of the grip, you have a constant on switch, and you have a switch for the LED lights. And there are no wires running around on the gun.
To me, this makes it a little more than just a flashlight.
It is expensive, and I am not sure I can honestly say I think it is "worth" the amount they charge for them, but on the other hand, I paid it, so it was worth it to me.
Low tech doesn't meant that is has to be cheap. There are plenty of low tech items that are simply very, very well made. Technology isn't everything.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Just my two cents but I felt Surefire prices were outrageous untill I bought one! Their alot more than what a person thinks of when you say flashlight! These lights are pretty high tech and put out a hell of a beam! Take the G2 it puts out more light than my clunky old Maglite but in a tiny little package! This is definetly the way to go and once you get one I think you'll see what everyone is trying to say!
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
where can i buy a Shock Isolated bezel at and how much thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
IM sent
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Knightone has some good advice, I suggest the 662 surefire barrel mount, I have had many customers build off of a hand held and after tailcaps (pressure pad) shock isolated bezels/batteries and mounts they were money ahead getting the dedicated 6v model

Good luck with the illumination!

Robert
www.rbprecision.com
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top