Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2003 12:42:26 PM EDT
No safe queens! Lets see pics of your old tired worn out built for battle AR's. No pics of little scratchs or scuffed finished lets see some real work horses...
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on, I want to see some too!

I think it's funny that nobody has replied so far....
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
pull up any military personel pic over in the middle east, there is NO finish left on those puppies.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Just curious but why do you [b]NEED[/b] these pics?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
LMAO!  Most of the members here are looking to take brass marks off the deflector!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
LMAO!  Most of the members here are looking to take brass marks off the deflector!
View Quote

Roger that Mark,

I'm personally looking for the brass mark!

I'd also like my gas tube to be completely blue [:)]

It's getting there
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, you cant really see the wear. Its there though!
Time of the pic was taken, this M4 was soaking wet.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=2389[/img]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#8]
i dont mind my ar being scratched up...just adds character.  just like old age! :)
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I need to see them to make my self feel better that the majority of the people here USE there AR's instead of making them safe queens.....But really I just would like to see if any of the AR owner on this board actually use them with out having nightmares of finish issues brass marks a scrath here and there
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted: I just would like to see if any of the AR owner on this board actually use them with out having nightmares of finish issues brass marks a scrath here and there
View Quote
I doubt it.As stated above, most folks here are worried about scratches or asking how to remove them.I think they add character and show that the rifle does get used.Obviously a safe queen is another story.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=12668[/img]

You can make out a little bit on the fense that guards the magazine release, the forward assist and the tip of the brass deflector.  In person its a lot more visible all over the gun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#13]
hahaha, hey on my issued piece, its all about the character marks.....but on the personals....I try and keep 'em nice and pretty

its really like women.  Some are just there to bang and do the wham bam thank-you ma'am and others are "wife material" in which u beed to pamper and take good care of

hey, thats just the way I see it
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Holy cow it suprises me that we have no pics save the one above which is what i was wanting to see.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Why does that suprise you?  Most of the people hear put lots of money into their weapons and would like to take care of them as much as possible.  Also most people just shoot them off of a bench at the range so why would there be any excesive wear besides the norm?  Weapons that show a lot of wear are from years of training exercises or years of actual combat.  The majority of AR owners haven't experienced either.  Taking care of your weapon and keeping it in good shape shows the pride that most AR owners have for their weapons.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#16]
it suprises me because after owning and taking care of my AR's my tach handle is worn Carry handle is worn Slide release is worn mucho things are worn on mine.....

I wonder how much use some of these AR's actually get. When I go to NM to the Ranch I throw My AR in the seat and drive around and do chores by the EOD it dirty and I wipe and more finish comes off. The I clean the more finish comes off it looks cool I use it a bunch.

its not a bad thing at all so dont get me wrong....I have just seen many fellas talk about how much use and shooting they do and figured many of theres must be as worn as some of mine.....
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a 1980 Toyota pickup with 220,000 miles that looked like it just came off the showroom floor.

My point....

Some people use stuff and take care of it.
Some people use stuff and don't take care of it.

Some people use stuff and take care of it, but because of there situation/occupation it gets worn. Examples; Military, Police, and people that do intense competition,training,and hunting.

Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Best I could do on short notice...
[img]http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135worn.jpg[/img]
my old M4A1(r) after a hard day with the steel wool, sand paper and the back yard gravel. -TF
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#19]
[shock] You did THAT on purpose.

IDForgery right?
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#20]
OH Geeze I hope some of you guys arent taken offense to this dumb ass thread.....

As for the taking care of stuff
if I buy a pick up I use as it was intended for I load stuff in back and the loads drive the use of the engine down and sag rear springs..
My 82 Cherokee chief is for off road, it has nick bumps and scratchs it get used for its intent
My Seville STS is my family car its used for nice things and is driven accordingly.

My point is that these rifles can be used extremely hard beeaten to death dragged in mud bounced of rocks and peoples heads and as long as they are clean and run then why fret over freaking Brass marks or a scuff.....

The one thing I noticed in the marine corp was that the M-16 I had was worn down in finish, buttstock had been pounded to death. but that SOB ran like champ all the damn time.....

Drives me nuts to see 600.00 AR treated like the family jewels.
Its a freaking combat weapon.

The only thing I am partial to is that I want new so I can put the wear and tear on my own rifle.

I love AR's great weapon never seen one I couldnt like. ]

Now back to the original Question Lets see some well worn AR's...
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I take very good care of my guns and dont abuse them needlessly, but I dont baby them either.

Tools v. Toys.

Go over to [url]www.isayeret.com[/url] and look at the photos.  Gotta love those Israelis and their well used guns [;)]

[img]http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/assault/car15/jenin-.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Outstanding isnt it. makes wanna own one just like it!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#23]
slightly OT, but my old M.A.R.S. pistol was MORE FUN to shoot when it was in this condition.
[img]http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135wornak.jpg[/img]
This was a bullet hose.  Good for getting rid of excess 7.62x39 Russkie HP ammo.  Later it went to Robar for an NP-3 finish.  Sold it.  Went C3.  -TF
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OH Geeze I hope some of you guys arent taken offense to this dumb ass thread.....

As for the taking care of stuff
if I buy a pick up I use as it was intended for I load stuff in back and the loads drive the use of the engine down and sag rear springs..
My 82 Cherokee chief is for off road, it has nick bumps and scratchs it get used for its intent
My Seville STS is my family car its used for nice things and is driven accordingly.

My point is that these rifles can be used extremely hard beeaten to death dragged in mud bounced of rocks and peoples heads and as long as they are clean and run then why fret over freaking Brass marks or a scuff.....

The one thing I noticed in the marine corp was that the M-16 I had was worn down in finish, buttstock had been pounded to death. but that SOB ran like champ all the damn time.....

Drives me nuts to see 600.00 AR treated like the family jewels.
Its a freaking combat weapon.

The only thing I am partial to is that I want new so I can put the wear and tear on my own rifle.

I love AR's great weapon never seen one I couldnt like. ]

Now back to the original Question Lets see some well worn AR's...
View Quote

If you were refering to me. No offense taken at all. I was just trying to contribute to the discussion.

You've made my point exactly.
Some people use things and trash them
Some people use things and take care of them, but don't care about outward appearance.
Some people use things and keep them looking pristine (or try to keep them as nice looking as possible).
Some people don't have much choice in the matter.

And yes, SOME people have safe queens.

BTW, Most of use have spent a lot more than $600 on our combat rifles.

I like to see the work horses too so keep 'em coming.

Love those IDF rifles!
I'd like to hear some stories behind them too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Just went to the IDF site.. Funny pick is the pick of the two holding hands "on vacation" with CAR strapped to them...Love it......
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Since dragging an AR through gravel won't hurt it's ability to function I don't see the harm in it, NOR do I see the point in it.  Going out of my way to tear it up so it looks used seems silly as well.  If I set the rifle against a wall and it falls and shreds the finish, so be it.  But I won't spend an ass load of money to tear something up either.  AR's look cool with any finish........or none at all[:D]
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I know it's sad, but I have over 200 guns, and only get to shoot them about 2 months of the year, how am I supposed to freakin wear them down?  I am already going broke buying (and shooting) ammo, doing my part to try.

I do shoot and practice with my carry/defense pistol enough to have really worn off the finish and even the edges, and am waiting for the frame to crack - sorry, no pics.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Who knows, maybe an AR manufacturer will come out with a well-worn look and charge more for it.It woks for Abercrombie and Fitch doesn't it?
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know it's sad, but I have over 200 guns, and only get to shoot them about 2 months of the year, how am I supposed to freakin wear them down?  I am already going broke buying (and shooting) ammo, doing my part to try.

I do shoot and practice with my carry/defense pistol enough to have really worn off the finish and even the edges, and am waiting for the frame to crack - sorry, no pics.
View Quote

How you ask?.......Send them to me my friend.  I can help[:D]
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#30]
This one
[img]http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/assault/car15/car15-5.jpg[/img]

I love those weapons with [b]character[/b], I just cant seem to bring myself to let that happen to any of the kids. The mule; my Bushmaster with about 7400 rounds through it doesn’t show any wear like your describing. All the others by comparison might then be considered safe queens, although they’re not. the only weapon I have that shows the kinda wear we’re talking about here is my Sig P220; I’ve carried it inside my waistband for over nine years now. …it has character…

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#31]
If you really want to see some finish wear, just watch Blackhawk Down- most the carbines the Delta Force guys are toting look like the weapons master on the set went at the finish with a belt sander!

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 2:30:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who knows, maybe an AR manufacturer will come out with a well-worn look and charge more for it.It woks for Abercrombie and Fitch doesn't it?
View Quote

GENIUS! Thanks for the idea...let me submit that idea to the marketing department [;)]
View Quote

Don't laugh, Cimmeron has an optional finish for their SAA's that look like somebody pulled the gun out of a rotted holster on a skeleton left over from 1888.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#34]
JTR8541, there's something about that picture you posted that has me going "hmmm?".  Please tell me that is a female on the right (or the left) or that one dude is handing the other dud something, eh?  They appear to be holding hands...

Horik, how friendly of you to offer - please come over and help me out, I'm in Alaska...[:D]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#35]
There an IDF couple on leave together.  It's a pic from Isayeret.com, and that's what the caption said.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There an IDF couple on leave together.  It's a pic from Isayeret.com, and that's what the caption said.
View Quote

Thank [your diety here]!  I was studying those tight pants on the right a little too much.  I almost didn't want to know if I was right or wrong!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone else remember the picture from the old board of the South American M16 that was recovered.  It almost looked like it was chrome plated.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#38]
AK Mike, could be the IDF's version of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"!?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#39]
[img]http://www.msnbc.com/c/0/171/983/10x7/030818_iraqss_06.jpg[/img]

[b]Two U.S. Army soldiers from the 1st Airborne Division take cover after an attack on a military convoy in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, Aug. 12. A U.S. military vehicle was destroyed by a blast on Tuesday and four casualties were taken from the scene, witnesses said. Locals said the Humvee was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade. Scores of U.S. soldiers launched a search of surrounding houses to try to track down the attackers.[/b]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top