Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2003 9:50:01 AM EDT
I recently bought a Lightweight Sporter.

I want an A3 upper on it, but am not sure I want the (expected) extra bulk of the M4 barrel.

I saw a post with a weight table, and it didn't look like there was that much difference, at least on paper.

Has anyone had both, and are there any material differences on handling characteristics?

Is there an advantage of the M4 besides the aesthetic (assuming I don't need the launcher...)??

I'm leaning on buying a receiver only, and transplanting my lightweight barrel, changing the front sight to a lugged one.

Thanks for you help guys.
Mike
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#1]
An ultralight is noticable lighter than an M4 and it heats up faster too.  If you mount a suppressor the M4 barrel deflects less.  If you want a light barrel then go with the ultra light.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both.  I much prefer the ultra light.  The numbers are deceiving - if you think about it all that extra weight is on the end of the M4's barrel.  So its going to seem like more.

The lightweight comes up faster and stops quicker.  My favorite for sure.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#3]
i have Bushmaster superlight weight barrel , yeah its lighter BUT, if ya put a flashhider or muzzle brake (like i did) then ya got weight at the end, It heats up extremely quick. The next barrel will be a custom one, itll be fat under handguards and pencil thin under frontsite post out to the end with nuttin on the end of barrel. jus my .02
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 14.5" M4 and a 16" LW, both Bushy's, they are very similar in handling and I like them both.
The 14.5"/phantom is shorter and handier.

I think you'd be happy with either one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the M4 with the [i]slight[/i] forward weight bias.  It seems less 'whippy' and stops on target better for me.  That said, I am toying witht he idea of a lightweight barrel on a flat top upper...
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard socom M4s have been fitted with medium weight barrels to combat the heat problem and make the steel less prone to failure when full auto heats it up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I am getting a super lightweight barrel for a lightweight project rifle as well, but that is a special purpose goal.

I just saw a new funky barrel (RRA?) can't remember who's, but it is SKINNY (as in pencil barrel) under the handguards, and standard under the sight tower on.  Looks weird.  Saves weight but is kind of assbackwards if you ask me.  I am not sure if I like it.  No, I'm pretty sure I don't like it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Colt Lightweight and I love it... I wouldn't personally go to the heavier profile.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just saw a new funky barrel (RRA?) can't remember who's, but it is SKINNY (as in pencil barrel) under the handguards, and standard under the sight tower on.  Looks weird.  Saves weight but is kind of assbackwards if you ask me.  I am not sure if I like it.  No, I'm pretty sure I don't like it.
View Quote

Isn't that just a "government" profile barrel?  Don't the M16A2/A4's have that profile as well as all Colt Government model ARs?  If that is what you saw, then its neither new or funky.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Knightone,

I know what you are talking about - lightweight under the handguards - nothing new there.  But this "funky" barrel was even lighter, as in pencil barrel light/thin, way more than the normal lightweight profile, but otherwise like the government profile.  It stated that it was a new design, unlike what is out there now, but I can't back this up until I find the stinking ad again.  If I do, I'll post a pic, and you tell me if it's funky!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Knightone,

I know what you are talking about - lightweight under the handguards - nothing new there.  But this "funky" barrel was even lighter, as in pencil barrel light/thin, way more than the normal lightweight profile, but otherwise like the government profile.  It stated that it was a new design, unlike what is out there now, but I can't back this up until I find the stinking ad again.  If I do, I'll post a pic, and you tell me if it's funky!
View Quote

Cool.  Please do try and find it.  I would like to get a look at this myself.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 14.5 M4 with a Vortex
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054109.jpg[/img]

A 14.5 inch Colt Light weight set up as a C8A1gery with a Vortex.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054114.jpg[/img]

And a Colt 16 inch light weight on my tricked out AR with the SIR and all the other cool stuff.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054105.jpg[/img]

My favorite is still the 14.5 inch light weigth. It just handles better. When I went to build my tricked out rifle I chose a light weight barrel because they handle much better than the M4. The M4 is nose heavy to me. I am sending my 16 inch into KKF as soon as I can to have him chop it to 14.5. 14.5 inch 1/7 light wieght barrels are my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I seem to remember that the Marines had some problems with the original light barrels on the M16A1's at Khe San.  They were sorta' in a hurry to open up air dropped ammo pallets, cutting the heavy steel strapping bands with fixed bayonets and bending those lightweight barrels.
Quite a bit of thought went into the 'A2 mods, so keep that in mind.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top