Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2003 12:42:03 AM EDT
I want to change the AK brake on my bushy because it's pretty loud (and I'd also like a brake that looks more like the "birdcage"). So far I've narrowed down my choices between kurt kustom firearm's A3 tac-brake and their A3 fake flash suppressor.  I want to get the fake flash suppressor so it's not so loud, but how bad does the 14.5" barrel's muzzle rise, and how loud is it when it dosen't have any type of brake? should I just get their A3 Tac Brake and enjoy the reduction in muzzle rise and endure the noise instead?

I think I remember reading that the AK and the Y-Comp brakes were extremely loud compared to others.  If so, then the A3 tacbrake wouldn't be as loud as the AK would it?  If thats the case, then I need the brake; but if the muzzle rise isn't too bad, then i'd rather go for the fake suppressor.

If anyone knows anybody else who makes birdcage-style muzzle brakes that will make a 14.5" barrel 16", I'm open to suggestion.

Also, any info about KKF's service/quality would be appreciated.

thaks all
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#1]
also, I have a heavy barrel.  will the KKF brakes even fit on the heavy barrel?  i've looked on their site but found nothing about this.

thanks again
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing but good to say about KKF.
I'm sure they do HBARS, just give them a call.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
sorry guys, I just found a similar topic in a different section that answered most of my questions. If i would have seen it before i wouldn't have posted this. sorry. please disregard the first two posts, but still one question; how bad is the muzzle rise of an uncompensated 14.5" barrel?  

appreciate the help
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless your shooting full auto, not a problem.
The only concern, is that a 14.5 is against the law without a compensator/break permanently mounted to bring it to 16".
Unless you have it registered as a SBW and pay a $200.00 tax.
If you already knew this, sorry.
Just want to make sure that no one gets the old midnight visit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:16:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
sorry guys, I just found a similar topic in a different section that answered most of my questions. If i would have seen it before i wouldn't have posted this. sorry. please disregard the first two posts, but still one question; how bad is the muzzle rise of an uncompensated 14.5" barrel?  

appreciate the help
View Quote

I was just about to link you over to that thread.

An AR's Kick is never really that bad.  Quick follow up shots are possible without a compensator if you practice enough.  For about 99.99% of the members of the board a brake/comp isn't necessary.  It's something to put on the end of a BATF neutered muzzle.  I have a KKF FFS on mine.  If I could do it again I think I'd go with his brake, but then again hindsight is 20/20.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top