Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2003 4:32:16 AM EDT
I keep seeing discussions on AR15 accuracy, and a lot of 'experts' keep saying a chrome-lined bore is not as accurate.

Has anybody actually put a good-shooting chrome-lined rifle up against a good-shooting non-chromed?

The reason I doubt it, is because my 20" A3 would put good ammo through the same hole if I was good enough.

Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The best I have shot with a chrome lined barrel was just recently. My 89' manufactured Colt AR-15A2 put 5 shots into 3 inches at 200 yards, using open sightes, but my Bushmaster varmiter, non-chrome lined with a IOR M2 put 5 shots into 1.25 inches at 200.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:51:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I think its an issue of not being able to "apply" the chrome-lining evenly inside the bore.  Therefore introducing irregularity to the bullet as it travels down the barrel.  I think that as manufacturing processes are improved we will begin to see more accurate chrome-lined barrels.  IMO, I think the degradation in accuracy is minimal.  If a chrome-lined 16" bbl can group 3" at 200 meters and a SS 20" can group subMOA, does it really matter on the receiving end.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=142144&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:57:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I keep seeing discussions on AR15 accuracy, and a lot of 'experts' keep saying a chrome-lined bore is not as accurate.

Has anybody actually put a good-shooting chrome-lined rifle up against a good-shooting non-chromed?

The reason I doubt it, is because my 20" A3 would put good ammo through the same hole if I was good enough.

View Quote

I would think just looking at what the top long range shooters in the world shoot in .223 and make your judgment from that.  They are "the experts" when it comes to this.  I doubt any use chromed barrels but I haven't researched it.  For most of us I'm sure the difference is hardly noticeable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#5]
While you could never get the chrome on as smoothly as you would like, I don't think that is as applicable as it might have been 25-10-5 years ago.  Processes are surely getting a bunch better.  I mean, 3 inches at 200 meters is nothing to feel bad about, especially with open sights.

*whoops*  '89 Colt is over ten years ago and it is a very good accurate gun.  I would imagine that guns that shoot as well as it does are much more common today.  Maybe not.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#6]
3" at 200 is not bad.  but why handicap yourself with irons.  you are not doing the barrel justice or really testing it's accuracy.

1"-1.5" with a scoped rifle at 200 is a good bench mark to try to attain.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many times.

Given equivalant ammo & shooter, and barrels of equivalant quality the non-chromed barrel will shoot better.

That is not saying you can't have a good shooting chrome lined bore.  Obviously you can as many of us have subh beasts - but you can get a more accurate unlined barrel.

The real questions is can YOU shoot as well as your rifle is able - can you take advantage of that increased accuracy?  The vast majority are not good enough to take advanage of it so it becomes marketing hype.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Many times.

Given equivalant ammo & shooter, and barrels of equivalant quality the non-chromed barrel will shoot better.
View Quote

forest, could you provide more info?  I don't know of a time when the two have had a shoot out with all other variables taken out of the equation.  A better shooter may be more likely to have a non-chromed barrel and may shoot more finely tuned ammo for example.

I have never bought the idea that minor irregularities have much to do with barrel accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I've often wondered why they can't put the Chrome in heavy (over spec) and then pull the button through again (maybe tung carbide button??) When I worked for an oilfield equipment company, we machined gate valve gates .020 - .030 under, blew stellite on the faces, and then surface ground to spec. That stuff was some kind of hard and wear resistant. I realize it's easier to surface grind than rifle, but the technology has to be there. On a side note, we blew stellite on a lawnmower blaed once and surface ground it back to sharp. That sucker would mulch beer bottles and cans all day long with out a nick. Never did sharpen it again. Haha
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:57:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[forest, could you provide more info?  
View Quote

Sure Curt.

Get a good shooter, a box of Black Hills 68gr (most all rifles shoot well with this load), and a couple of rifles.

The trick is 'equivalent quality' and that is somwhat objective.  My comparison was a Buahmaster 20" with two stage vs a Oly 20" with a two stage.  The Oly consistantly shot tighter groups (not by much - but we were only shooting at 50 & 100 yards)

Optimally you'd use the same lower to negate differences in the trigger (I didn't think of it at the time).
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess generally speaking non chrome lined barrels are "more accurate" than chrome lined, and also dependent on the shooter!! I guess it depends what your priority is, I will take the chrome lined barrel anytime due to the ease of cleaning and corrosion protection. And since I
just use my rifle for defense and don't plan on competing, the extra accuracy gained in a non chrome lined barrel is not important to me. Choice is yours.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:34:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Take away your concrete bench, sandbags, and target scopes and you people will never know the difference between the two.

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I have shot both, and can't tell a difference in casual shooting.  A nonchromed match barrel is probably more accurate in competition shooting, but I dont do that and I prefer the ease of maintenance with chrome.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top