Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2003 5:18:20 PM EDT
what would you estimate the recoil difference between an SKS (non-paratrooper) vs. a 6.25-6.75LB AR15 (bushmaster, cavalry arms) be?  1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or equal (i know an ar15 is less, but how much?).

also, does a compensator make much difference on an ar15?

thank you in advance for your time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot both.  Ar15, [b]in my opinion only[/b] has less recoil but not really alot less.

Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The AR has less recoil. Its enough of a difference that makes accurate, rapid-fire shots with an AR alot easier to make then with an SKS
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Neither has any real amount of rearward recoil, but the SKS really does torque upwards on you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Neither has any real amount of rearward recoil, but the SKS really does torque upwards on you.
View Quote

i am very familiar with sks rearward recoil, would you sa an ar has about the same, just less upward?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah. Its been a while since I shot one, but I dont remember the SKS having anything for rearward recoil. ths stock design and heavier bullet make for more muzzle jump.

On paper the SKS has more recoil, but in real life, rearward recoil on both is fairly negligable.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Recoil seems about the same for an AR15 and SKS (for me).
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:12:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll shoot an AR braced against my mouth for demonstrations, but I'll never do it with an SKS. :)

Just comparing momentum, I'd say the SKS has about twice the recoil, and a steel buttplate too.  (Spits out teeth)
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll shoot an AR braced against my mouth for demonstrations...
View Quote

I had a guy at the range talk to me about being able to do that with my AR....I told him to "go ahead, knock yourself out!"...he smiled and turned....i thought that was really funny.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top