Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2003 3:17:01 PM EDT
How do I go about changing the flash hider on my rifle?  It has a standard A2 birdcage now.  I just bought a Vortex.  Can I just take a wrench and twist it off and put the new one on?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Some Colts are on with loctite and will need some heat.  Other than that: lefty loosie, righty tighty
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but it's torqued on. It will be tight to remove, a barrel vise or action block will be needed. I used the armurer's wrench, and had to give it a good smake to loosed the FA. For re-install, I don't know about the vortex, but the A2 has peel washers or a crush washer to index it. The TM states to torque 15 to 20ft-lb using the combination wrench, you want it tight but not too tight.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I was able to get off the A2 birdcage from my Bushy with a 3/4" wrench and some "love taps" on the wrench. The Vortex went on fairly easily. I reused the peel washer just because it looked better with it on than without....

...and because I would lose it if I put it somewhere else [:D]

-Lee
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Get rid of that washer! Remember on the Vortex, there is no requirement for a peel or lock washer.  In fact it is counterproductive, as some really dim bulbs at APG failed to remember that fine point when recently testing the Vortex on the M-4/16, -249 and -240. DOH!  also, make sure you only use about 10 lbs torque when installing the Vortex.  The helical tines facilitates self tightening after about 10 or sound rounds being fired.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you use an action block to remove or install a flash hider or any other threaded muzzle device.  For that, use barrel vise jaws.  You run the risk of twisting the barrel in the receiver.  The steel indexing pin will easily dent the softer aluminum of the receiver.

Use an action block and NOT vise jaws for installing the barrel on the upper receiver.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top