Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2003 2:53:18 PM EDT
I just put a new DPMS bolt carrier assembly in my SP1 and when the bolt slides forward the top of the hammer catches the firing pin shoulder. The old carrier I believe was an M16 carrier which had the shoulder of the pin shrouded. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#1]
My first thought is that you have an out of spec hammer that is sitting up too high at full cock.  If it was holding in the right place, a cutaway carrier should not matter, nor catch the pin.

If it is only doing this when your holding the trigger back, the disconnecter, which would be holding the hammer back at that point, may be worn. On the other hand, if it does this when you're just operating the action to load the chamber (or whatever)the top of the hammer is sitting too high.

You can probably do a quick fix by using an M16, rather than AR, firing pin. The smaller collar on the M16 pin probably won't catch the notch on top of the hammer.  My own recommendation tho would be to replace the hammer.  The new DPMS hammers do not have the notch in front, so there'd be nothing to catch on.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top