Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2003 7:40:26 AM EDT
Went out to my local range and the police where out there training.  At first I ignored them as they where shooting a Rem 700 in .308 and not being very friendly, like most other people are on the range.  They  where shooting prone at 100Yds and I was not very impressed, as I was watching thru my spotting scope, I always thought that those rifles they had could do better than 2MOA and they had Federal 168Gr Match ammo.  

Then the fun began.  They dragged out a couple of brand new Bushmaster M16, 11.5” barrels, flash hiders, select fire, with Surefire flashlights, and adjustable stocks.  They where just plinking in semi auto, when all of a sudden they flipped the switch to burst and started rocking and rolling! Man that was pretty cool sound.   I bet they ran thru a couple hundred rds. with the burst option enabled.  I asked if I could try, but they declined, I even offer to buy ammo (had around 500rds. in the trunk) but they still wound not let me try.  I then offered to use my own 16”upper, but still no luck   Man I wish we as mere citizens could easily get such stuff.  Oh well I thought you guys would enjoy the story.  I told the cop that he needed an Aimpoint sight on that rifle, and he acted like he had never heard of that before.  They had A3 type uppers, but where using the A2 sights. Overall it was fun, at least I got to heard auto fire.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, I have never fired an AR15/M16 on full auto or burst.  A fair amount of subguns, mostly a UZI, and 400 rounds through an MG42 but never an M16 or even a AK47.  I want to bad though.  But not 10 years/$10,000 bad though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry they didn't share the fun with you....

what a bunch of bastards!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey!! What happened to their oath of public service? They should have served you with a little full auto fun. I mean your taxes paid for that gun. It kinda was partly yours too.

Oh well... cool story. You should have offered a case of doughnuts instead of ammo. They would have let you shoot all day!

Spooge Out!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Dude. All ranges should have a rule:

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They  where shooting prone at 100Yds and I was not very impressed, as I was watching thru my spotting scope, I always thought that those rifles they had could do better than 2MOA and they had Federal 168Gr Match ammo.  
View Quote

I bet most folks here can shoot better than most cops.

Then the fun began.  They dragged out a couple of brand new Bushmaster M16, when all of a sudden they flipped the switch to burst and started rocking and rolling! I asked if I could try, but they declined,
View Quote

Those elitist bastards!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I bet most folks here can shoot better than most cops.

Imagine how well you could shoot if you had:

a.  All the free Match Ammo you could shoot

b.  Got paid to practice

c.  Had free range access

Man, I think I went into the wrong profession.  I guess I could always enlist, but don't think they want overweight 38 year old men.  

E
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Most cops don't know squat about firearms. I doubt they would have let you shoot the M16, even if they were cool. You aren't a cop, therefore you just ain't cool enough! As said before, most cops don't shoot very well. You would be surprised how much range time is mandatory and required for most departments.
I'm willing to bet most of us here at AR15.com
will out shoot 99% of cops out there. We also know way more about firearms than they do.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
After owning and shooting the M-16 it is a weapon that is unlike anything else you will see or hear shoot.  

You would have been impressed if you had seen this with a fast 9mm or 22LR upper!  My favorite upper for the M-16 was a simple 5.5-inch 22LR upper Kurt at KurtsCustom built me and it's rate of fire was so increadable that I could empty a 30-rd mag before the first casing hit the ground.  The sound was a ZZZIPPP and you were empty with a tinkle, tinkle, tinkle sound as the brass came back to earth!

It is a shame that more people can not shoot NFA weapons at least once or twice in their life.  Perhaps someday I will open up a range somewhere and rent out NFA toys as it would be woth a small rental fee to experience an M-16, AK-47, UZI, M11/9 and even something like a 1919a4 belt gun!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at it from the cop's perspective:  some guy who you don't know from Adam and have never seen before approaches you and asks for a fully loaded M16 so he can fire it full auto.  ('Cool' doesn't have anything to do with it.)

Any cop who hands over a department-owned full auto loaded firearm to a stranger needs to find another job.  It doesn't matter who the stranger is (including me).

FWIW - having run my share of 5.56 in burst/rock and roll though M16s over the years - the experience isn't THAT phenomenal.

CWO
{Edited because I can't seem to type coherently}
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a very good point. I did not give them a hard time about it, either.  At least they let me look at it.  They are going to be practicing there alot now, so maybe I'll get to know them, and maybe sometime they will let me give it a try.  I always try to let others shoot my AR-15's just so they know how much fun they are to shoot.  I have even seen a few guys at the range pick up AR's after they see how much fun they are the that they are not really bad at all.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Most cops don't know squat about firearms. I doubt they would have let you shoot the M16, even if they were cool. You aren't a cop, therefore you just ain't cool enough! As said before, most cops don't shoot very well. You would be surprised how much range time is mandatory and required for most departments.
I'm willing to bet most of us here at AR15.com
will out shoot 99% of cops out there. We also know way more about firearms than they do.
View Quote

Unfortunately, thats true.

Hey, did it look anything like this? [:D]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p76a0092fd10d6e2dbd647b8602959ce0/fbe9af60.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
yeap, except no BUIS or EOTECH.  They where using the removable handle A2 sights.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#13]
2"MOA at 100yds, must be the shooter....  Our locals shoot sub 1/2MOAs with theres and severial times I have shot there M16's when they were at the range.  What State and Local are you in?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I girlfriends cousin works in law enforement.  He does meth lab busts so you know they have to be on the ball.  anyways, he is issued an MP5K.  AND HE LET ME SHOOT IT.  AT THE POLICE RANGE.  He was given (temporarily) a bushmaster M4 full auto and a silenced MP5K.  AND HE LET ME SHOOT IT AT THE POLICE RANGE.  Awesome to say the least.  My first encounter shooting an M16 was in Phoenix at a gun range/store.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Just talked our Special Ops Lt. into buying XM-193 ammo for our Department's 2 NEW COLT M-4's and COLT Commando's (10" barrels). He is looking to buy 30 cases for the initial purchase. Since I have several cases of it at the house for my AR's, I volunteered to provide "some ammo" during the test firing and checkout runs at the range. They only got 1 mag for each weapon, so I'll be providing some loaners. Lt said he would replace the ammo and I could fire all of them as well. Boy, next week is gonna be fun, fun, fun.[}:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top