Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2003 10:54:27 AM EDT
Good afternoon,

I have been thinking about picking up a .40 carbine, and there isn't much variety out there. I was referred to Olympic Arms PCR series, and checked out their website. The info that they offer is pretty limited, and I can't find anything else about them on the web. Would someone point me to more info about these guns, or just let me know if they are any good or not? My big question: are there any pre-ban hi-cap mags available for the .40 or 10mm versions of these guns? Does Colt make any versions other than 9mm?

Thanks,
James
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
jcook119
Well let me tell you what I know.  I have fired Oly's .45 AR and thought it was absolutely great.  Recoil was non-existent.  The model I was shooting was a 16 inch SS bull working off of a A-3 flattop.  Using a 4x scope I was shooting my paper plate targets at 100yds.  As far as magazines we were using sten mags with a mag well block that held 14rds I believe.  With some very minor tuning I am sure that we could have greatly tightened up the groups at 100yds.  As far as the 40 cal version goes , I don't know much abaout it.  As far as hicap mags I know that Oly doesn't offer them and I have never heard of anyone else who has either.  Try going to Olyarms online or call their 1-800 number and aske to speak to Skip, he will be a good resource to ask questions of.
Scorpion34 OUT!

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]

The PCR series(stands for "Politically Correct Rifle") is okay. Olympic makes some good quality guns, but they also make some bottom end stuff that I would personally stay away from--the Plinker models with cast receivers for instance.

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Try this: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=163730[/url]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, folks. I appreciate the comments so far. Does anyone here have any experience with the pistol-caliber models?

James
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I've also shot the 45 cal AR15.  It is a fun gun, but not what I would call practical for what I do. If you have abundant ammo in a pistol caliber, it is a great idea and lots of fun.

I guess it all depends on why you are looking to get it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out www.OA2.org and find out anything on the OLY rifles
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have been thinking about picking up a .40 carbine, and there isn't much variety out there. I was referred to Olympic Arms PCR series, and checked out their website. The info that they offer is pretty limited, and I can't find anything else about them on the web. Would someone point me to more info about these guns, or just let me know if they are any good or not? My big question: are there any pre-ban hi-cap mags available for the .40 or 10mm versions of these guns?
View Quote

OK, here is the scoop.

I own a PREBAN 10mm oly that LOVES to put lead down range.  It has wonderful ballistics.

Just helped a customer convert his .40S&W semi upper to full auto on his RR.  He has been out banging out lead like crazy and loving it.

Check out this URL for information:
[url]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/pistol_caliber_conversions.htm[/url]

As far as HI-CAP mags, I can provide you information on how to convert the HI-CAP .41Uzi mags to work for .40S&W using the SOCOM mag block.  My PREBAN works this way and very well.

Call Oly to verify below:

I believe that Oly will still convert the mag for you for $35 (might have been $25) if you send them the magazine.  Buy HICAP Uzi .41 magazine.  Send the maagzines to Oly with cash and you will get back one piece magazine that will work for you.

Lowers do NOT need any modifications.  For full-auto, they have a lighter buffer that you want to use.

Upper will work on any lower that is mil-spec.

Many people in full-auto land own Oly uppers and buy 100+ STEN magazines for $2-$3 per magazine.  They load the STEN magazines at home while watching TV or whatever.  When they go to the range, they shoot and do not reload while there.

If there are any other questions that I can answer, please ask.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top