Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2003 6:57:44 PM EDT
Unofficial, but my friend who is the regional firearms instructor for the DEA was informed that the agency is sending back all of their HK53s, MP5s, Colt SMGs and so on. They are all being replaced with RRA M4 A3s (A4) with Eotech sights. He is not positive of the barrel length as yet but is hoping for the 11 1/2". He has also heard the rumor that the FBI may be jumping onboard with RRA. RRA must be doing something right
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Good thing I have my uppers already.[:D]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
That figures, the goverment going for the big and flashy Eotech instead of a technological advancement such as the Aimpoint.[flame]

Same as always, "this looks better",our representitives.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Aimpoint looks a helluva lot better than the EoTech. I was sold on getting the Aimpoint because it works and it looks good. BUT after firing a friends' AR with an EoTech, I'm sold. I hate the way the thing "looks" but it works. Plus if you happen to break the glass the thing still works as long as there is glass left, that says alot to me. I don't think AimPoint can do this. Both are good and to each his own but I don't think the EoTech is inferior by any means!

I also read that one of the Ranger groups have switched to an EoTech.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That figures, the goverment going for the big and flashy Eotech instead of a technological advancement such as the Aimpoint.[flame]

Same as always, "this looks better",our representitives.
View Quote

To quote Wes at MSTN - "WTF am I going to do with a 65moa circle of dots?"

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Special Forces are switching in numbers and HRTs and CIA seem to prefer the Eotech. From what I'm told
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, the DEA will be using Federal Tactical bonded 62gr. SPs for their new M4s.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
RRA must be doing something right
View Quote

Government doesn't buy the best, they buy lowest bidder...
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
As far as the RRA, it went throught a hell of a test session against some of the best AR manufacture in the country.  I believe the RRA rifle survived the entire regiment of torture tests and still able to provide DEA with a lower bid.  kudos to RRA for getting the contract, they will be replacing the AUG the DEA had for awhile.  of course we will never see any of thise AUG on the civilian market.  

EOTech made the cut also because the sight fit the requirement and it was generally agree to be a superior optic to the Aimpoint.  as far as the battery life, DEA don't go on extended patrol, so the need for super long battery life is not a neccessite.

today over 5000 EOTech are in service with the Army Spec Ops teams, with another undisclosed number of EOTech in service with Navy.  This is not counting the EOTech in service with CIA, DEA, ATF, number of top name LE agencies. outside of the country German KSK, British SAS and the Canadian JTF all use the EOTech extensively.  I know Aimpoint has been around a lot longer and it has the traditioinal tube design that so many of you are used to, but the tide is turning, EOTech is the new wave of combat optic and the pros useage are increaing day by day.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
RRA must be doing something right
View Quote

Government doesn't buy the best, they buy lowest bidder...
View Quote

In the LE world, it isn't the lowest bidder, it is the lowest FUNCTIONAL bidder.  As for the optic difference, I'll quote a 1st Group team leader, "Why use the M68?  Its old technology and we can do better".
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top