Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2003 8:04:43 PM EDT
Are the OA-93 Carbines any good?  This is quite a departure from the AR15 design b/c of the gas and recoil systems, but has a really nice OAL.  What do you think about its relability and practicality as a SHTF gun?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like an AK with a folding stock in the AR style. I think its only available in 3 shot burst or full auto?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
About the OA-93, my questions are:
does it work well, accuracy, relaibility, does it have a crapload of non-standard parts etc, does it heat up fast or anything like that???
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
no clue...whats wrong with an M4?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#4]
While I've always heard good things about them, I don't think they would be very practical as a main SHTF weapon. Reason being, after a couple of hundred rounds continuously they start to get *real hot*. Considering that it's firing a .223/5.56, there's just simply not enough metal there to dissapate the heat.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess the handy thing about them is that they have a short OAL when stock is folded.  THe proplems are that the lower assembly is not modular with normal AR uppers, and It might take wierd non-standard parts.
How is the recoil on on this weapon, especially on FA fire.  Furthermore, does this use a standard AR bolt carrier??
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Short barrel = no velocity.
It's a fun toy.
There are better options for SHTF.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
They look really neat, but availability is the shits.  I've had a kit on back order with Oly for over 8 months now with still no ETA available.  Unless you have a whole lot of time to wait, I'd recommend just sticking with the standard CAR/M4 configuration with a telescoping stock.

Stryfe - He's asking about the Carbine which has a standard 16" barrel, not the OA93 pistol, so velocity should be just fine.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Oops, then I gotta go along with what's wrong with the readily available M-4.
Plus, now I have to find a picture of this beast.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
About the OA-93, my questions are:
does it work well, accuracy, relaibility, does it have a crapload of non-standard parts etc, does it heat up fast or anything like that???
View Quote

Accuraccy should be just like any other AR.  It uses the same gas system just a different recoil systsm (its contained in the upper).

The only purpose of this setup is to allow a folding stock (a questionable device at best). Your better off with a telestock than with a folding stock.

It uses many non standard parts (bolt carrier and recoil system) so your SOL there.  Reliabilty MAY be as good as a standard OLY - then again it may not - its unknown as I doubt the system has undergone as rigerous testing as the standard AR.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
yay, the luddite crowd again.

Why do we need Garands? There's nothing wrong with Springfields!

Why would I want a mouse gun when I can have a Garand?

There may not be necessarily anything wrong with the current crop, but there's something to be said for innovation.

I would still agree that the AR15 platform is still better than the OA-93, but the "ain't broke, don't fix it" argument should be long dead.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, looks pretty cool.  But I think I'll keep my M4 stock.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://www.olyarms.com/popup/img/oa93car.jpg[/img]

These WILL fit any mil-spec pre-ban lower and come with a semi-auto bolt unless you have an SOT or Form 4.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if this system would work with a Lighting link??? Anybody know
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#14]
What I really like about it alot is the OAL with folded stock.  It would make it real handy in and out of vehicles and tight spaces etc, but for the actual shooting, I do preferr the telestock I suppose.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one really lot's of fun to shoot and gets a few looks at the range having the Folding stock on an AR  [;)]  But i'm thinking of selling it to try the AR Pistol the oa-98  something about a 90 round or 120 rd drum on a pistol just says OH HELL YAH TO ME !!!  but something I will have to work out in thearpy i'm sure :)
Dave
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top