Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2003 2:52:54 PM EDT
This is a sincere question:  if the two bad guys were ex-military (one was U.S. Army Rangers), and they had extensive experience with AR's, why did they even consider using a Mini-14 as one of their guns in their bank heists?  I own both, and I know if my life depended on it, I'd grab the AR.  This is not a troll.  I want peoples informed opinions.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Since the Mini-14 they used was fitted with a Choate folding stock, my guess would be compactness for bailing in and out of vehilces on the jobs they did.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The guns they had were taken in robbery / homicides .They robbed and killed several people at a couple popular shooting sites near the Everglades. They targeted the people specifically to get the guns to be used in the robberies.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Since the Mini-14 they used was fitted with a Choate folding stock, my guess would be compactness for bailing in and out of vehilces on the jobs they did.
View Quote

I swear the one I saw was a regular Mini 14 with the old style wood hand guard. The one in the FBI movie was a full auto shorty folder.
GG
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#4]
A ruger mini 14 with factory hi caps will do the job just fine for robbing banks. It will fire every time if the ammo permits it.
GG
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Quoted:
View Quote

I swear the one I saw was a regular Mini 14 with the old style wood hand guard. The one in the FBI movie was a full auto shorty folder.
GG
View Quote

On the TV documentary, you are correct.  They show a picture of a Mini-14 with a full wood stock at the end of the show with a 30 round mag attached.  I have the documentary on tape, and it wouldn't surprise me if they put a folding stock on it while they're robbing banks.  Gee, would they do that to make it look more 'evil'?  I wonder . . .
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Back in the 1980's the Mini-14 was dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The made for TV "In the Line of Duty" movie featured a full auto Ruger AC556.  From an official account I read it was described as a full size stainless Mini-14 with a Choate folding stock and Federal Ordnance magazines.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Back in the 1980's the Mini-14 was dirt cheap.
View Quote

That explains the A-Team.

[img]http://home.planet.nl/~marte163/team007.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top