Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 5:08:31 AM EDT
What is the difference between a muzzlebreak and a compensator.  On the new Colt website, it features the M16 with a compensator.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The military calls the A2's birdcage flash suppressor a 'compensator' because it also helps reduce muzzle rise.  The BATF says its a flash supressor so its a no-no on post ban rifles.

Muzzle Brakes are devices that are used to reduce RECOIL in a rifle.  They also have a tendancy to increase the muzzle blast (particularly to the sides) and flash.

Compensators are devices that reduce muzzle climb.  They help keep the rifle on target during a rapid fire string (or in the M16s case on burst or full-auto).

Now there are combination devices for example most post ban 'Muzzle Brakes' are actually a combination Muzzle Brake & Compensator.  And as noted above the A2 Bird Cage is a combination Flash Supressor & Compensator.

Note for Muzzle Brakes or Compensators to be post ban legal they must not reduce the flash nor can they be 22mm +/-1 in diameter (to prevent usage as a grenade launcher).
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]
...and it's b-r-a-k-e not b-r-e-a-k.

I'm surprised you got away this long without someone scolding you.

My very first post I made that mistake and I was blasted [:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top