Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 3:40:36 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me how it would work if I buy a rifle from an individual priveatly in NY  and I live in NJ also a private citizen?
Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The person you buy it from would have to take the rifle to a licensed FFL dealer and have it shipped to a licensed FFL dealer in NJ. There you would have to just show id and pay a fee.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it has to be shipped from a Licensed FFL but has to go to one??

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
ATF rules state that in a state to state transfer if must be shipped to an FFL dealer.  The person shipping the firearm does not have to be a FFL dealer.  There is nothing illegal about a person shipping a firearm to a FFL dealer in another state to tranfer to a resident of that state.  however, some dealers will not accept any firearm unless it comes from a FFL holder.  That just a dealer policy only not a legal issue.

So have the person you are selling it to find a dealer that is ok with this.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Many FFL holders will not send a signed copy of their FFL to a non-license holder because of fraud. I will not give mine to an individual because of this. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it safeguards my livelyhood. BTW. Sometimes it is hard to get any of these shippers to send anything that resembles a gun. In most cases you will have to send it dealer to dealer because of that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I take no offense that's why I asked for advice.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you gone for the NJ Firearms ID card? You should get that for less hassels. For an FFL in NJ purchase you need one and a DL usually.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I take no offense that's why I asked for advice.
View Quote

Good and CHEAP organization to join if you live in NNJ is [url]www.anjrpc.org[/url] AND a bene is you get free, yes free, legal advice, from lawyers associated directly with the organization.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The person you buy it from would have to take the rifle to a licensed FFL dealer and have it shipped to a licensed FFL dealer in NJ. There you would have to just show id and pay a fee.
View Quote

JUST PLAIN WRONG!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Many FFL holders will not send a signed copy of their FFL to a non-license holder because of fraud. I will not give mine to an individual because of this. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it safeguards my livelyhood. BTW. Sometimes it is hard to get any of these shippers to send anything that resembles a gun. In most cases you will have to send it dealer to dealer because of that.
View Quote

Another call to WAKE_UP...It's done ON-LINE Dude!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]
In NY state, there is a state law, FFL can only accept and send firearms to and from known FFL holders.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top