Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 7:28:03 PM EDT
Is this hanguard worth the price it costs, and I cant see in the pictures but does this handgaurd have side rails too?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
There are literally tons of threads around with pics of the SIR on the rifles of various different forum goers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the RIFLES, BARRELS, UPPERS AND MORE section of this(AR15) site.  pinned to the top of the page is a thread about SIR and FIRSH tests.  You can read alot there.  There are also tons of other posts on the system around these parts!  

Is it worth the cost?   I have one and like it.  I have alot of other crap too and like it as well.  If you want a good MWS it is right up there with the rest but like anything it has it's pro's and con's!  

Also,  Yes it has rails on both sides and the bottom, and of course the top!  They are removable and placement adjustable!  Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
i like my SIR.  i'd shop around on the EE for some deals first though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes the SIR is worth the price and yes it includes side rails.  The side picatinney rails (numbered 1 and 2 I believe) are about 5 rails long which may not seem long enough but they are.  These rails can be removed, moved to another position, or can even be replaced with a longer rail.  Also the ARMS SIR free-floats your barrel which is a big plus.  The C version (Civilian) does not require the barrel to be removed whereas the M version (Military) version does require barrel removal.  Maybe this will help.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
The only con about SIR I can think of is its weight. My 14.5" carbine with SIR and Aimpoint weights more than my 20" gov't rifle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The C version (Civilian) does not require the barrel to be removed whereas the M version (Military) version does require barrel removal.  Maybe this will help.
View Quote

In reality, the M version only requires the delta ring to be removed. You can easily accomplish this without removing the barrel.

We've had long and heated discussions debating the worth and value of the SIR and similar systmes. In the end, I believe the SIR is not worth it for everyone. However, to those people who want to increase the overall performance and modularity of their rifle, it is invaluable and we would probably even pay more for it if we had to.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only con about SIR I can think of is its weight. My 14.5" carbine with SIR and Aimpoint weights more than my 20" gov't rifle.
View Quote

Just curious, does your 14.5" carbine have a heavy barrel? If so, a 14.5" heavy barrel carbine with no optic or SIR already weighs more than a 20" Govt Profile barrel rifle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#8]
No my 14.5" is a M4 profile.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top