Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2003 6:50:35 PM EDT
Was it the real Early Serial Numbered ones?

What Ya Think?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
ITs hard to really nail down a specific time period. There were some that were made right before the ban (early to mid 94) and some that were made pre Y2K that had it. Not all, but some. There are surely some others mixed in here and there. For the record, I have seen a purple Colt as well. While most can freely admit Bushmaster has had this problem the most, it is not true to say they are the only ones.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
All mine are purple in the sun. Even the newest ones!

Luckily, it's the ol' lady's favorite color!!

Regards!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
A good "acid" test (a figure of speach, of course) is to use an ordinary flashlight.  All of my black busy's are purple when viewed under the flashlight light.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Jimi Hendrix'.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Jimi Hendrix'.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:39:54 AM EDT
[#6]
They seem to come and go for purple receivers.

They had a run of them a little while back.

DPMS, Olympic Armalite, Rock River are the blackest I have consistantly seen...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:46:24 AM EDT
[#7]
My Purple Barney Bushy has a serial number under 850.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/025979.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#8]
My Bushy is black, but as mentioned above, under certain lighting conditions it does appear purple. There are some out there that are just so purple it's funny. Does anyone know if they come from the factory like that, or do they become purple over time?

Steve.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:01:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw a M4gery BM  (with mini-y) with a purple finish a couple of months ago in a local gun shop.  I was surprised how shiny it was too, not as dull as a usual parkerized finish.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I've found that CLP or motor oil turns them black again, the purple color generally appears when the anodized surface dries out.  

Just my 02c worth.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was at a local gun store I saw several Bushmasters with purple receivers mixed in with nice black ones.  The gun store clerk still insisted it was just a different shade of black.[rolleyes]

I still can't fathom why Bushmaster still has this problem...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Its an anodize dying problem.  Hard coat is very difficult to dye jet black.  I suspect some of the others that get deep black are doing a general purpose anodizing.  They look just like my 0% forgings that I anodize at 65 F with a battery charger.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#13]

I still can't fathom why Bushmaster still has this problem...
View Quote

What ? It's a problem? these rare puple guns should command a premium !! [lol]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a Bushmaster M4gery back in December, and while the rifle itself is as black as it should be, the sight adjustment knobs on the detachable carry handle are very purple.  Makes for an odd contrast.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Colt Competition HBAR 16" manufactured in 1994. The flattop upper is purple and doesn't match the flat black lower. There seemed to be apoint where Colt felt that the aesthetics of its products were unimportant.
Anyone who feels that purple is not a "happy color" should visit the Arizona Response Systems website. ARS's best finish is Metacol III.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Its an anodize dying problem.  Hard coat is very difficult to dye jet black.  I suspect some of the others that get deep black are doing a general purpose anodizing.  They look just like my 0% forgings that I anodize at 65 F with a battery charger.
View Quote

Strange, but the guns used in military aren't purple like a Bushmaster...  Seems like BM is not keeping to the MILSPEC like they should!  [;D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top