Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2003 2:46:54 PM EDT
If and when I build my M4 with RAS  do I need to "connect" the upper with the barrel/RAS with a rail?  Doing so with an FF RAS would seem to be counter productive.

TS
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]
shhh, need and necessary aren't nice words around here sometimes.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Get FF RAS and dont bother connecting, its unnecessary.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you need to connect them?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I see why you have 1700+ posts in three months. Why do you post the same question on 3-4 different forums? No offensive meant with this, just had to ask.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I see why you have 1700+ posts in three months. Why do you post the same question on 3-4 different forums? No offensive meant with this, just had to ask.
View Quote

That's 1700 posts in 2 years and 2 months.  The reason I double post is because some people only go to one specific forum.  If I put the question out in AR Discussions and Uppers, lowers, etc.  I may find something out or get a perspective on something that I may not have gotten on a question.  I only do that with technical firearm questions.

TS
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Below is how [i][u]I should have[/i][/u] phrased the question, and Troy's response to it.  Or rather his response and then a restatement of my question.  I'm a plinker and a pain is the ass.  I want to build a nice M4 and sometimes ask questions in dumbass ways.

Quoted:
In the beginning, there was only the RIS and the RAS, neither of which were freefloating or stabile enough for optics.  The solution then was to use a special extended ARMS Swan Sleeve to connect the upper and the upper RIS/RAS rail.  It worked pretty well, but it did raise the height of the entire flattop, and some optics and such didn't fit right.

Then came the FF RAS, which is plenty secure enough for optics, and doesn't mess with the rail at all.  The only two downsides are the weight of the oversize steel barrel nut and that you can't get to the barrel, so no M203s.

Along came the ARMS SIR, which free-floated and was open at the bottom to enable the M203 to be attached, but like the SWAN Sleeve, covers the entire flattop.

Next came the RAS II, which is similar to the SIR, except it only raises the rail at a hump in the center, leaving most of the rail in front and in back of the hump at standard height.

Finally, the pinnacle is the URX.  It extends the top rail with almost no interruption and no hump, free-floats the barrel AND the M203 (nothing else does that), and due to it's one-piece aluminum construction, is lighter than a FF RAS.  The downsides here is that they aren't going to be available for a while, and they require the factory to install.

-Troy
View Quote

Quoted:
Thanks Troy.  What I want to do is attach my EOTech a little farther forward than it will go on the flat top.  It's a AA version and with it deployed all the way forward on the flat top I can't change batteries without removing my sight.  I also have an M3 light I'd like to attach and most likely a forefrip due to a problem from a fractured risk.  I saw a thread "Is a RIS strong enough?" and wondered if adding a RAS was worth the trouble and/or if it needed to be "bridged".

Thanks again,

TS
View Quote
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top