Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 10:52:42 AM EDT
Have any of you tried Olympic Arms AC4 Pneumatic Recoil Buffer yet? It sells for $129.00, and they say it is adjustable so that one model can be utilized on 5.56 cartridges, pistol caliber units, or any number of alternative rifle cartridges. They also say that it reduces recoil and muzzle climb. It reduces the cyclic rate of the military M4 Carbine from approx. 620rpm to 460rpm, while at the same time improving reliable feeding, extracting and ejecting. What do you think of it?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Just my opinion, but I believe these types of  items fall under the category of "another expensive solution for a non-existent problem."

Mike
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just my opinion, but I believe these types of  items fall under the category of "another expensive solution for a non-existent problem."

Mike
View Quote

I agree.Keep it simple for reliability.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
What?  Don't you like the SPROING!?

I know some folks can't stand the sproing, so they can get these things.  It isn't for me though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
It removes the sproing, solves any bolt bounce issues on full auto, and smoothes the recoil pulse.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:47:27 AM EDT
[#5]
If you shoot full auto and want to slow down your ROF, it will help.

If you want to get rid of that spring noise, it will do that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:53:51 AM EDT
[#6]
But I LIVE for the "sproing!" noise!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't like the spring noise? Put a small amount of LSA on your fingers and coat the recoil spring with the lube and the noise will disappear.  It worked on every AR/M-16 I've had.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#8]
What is LSA??
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#9]
LSA, Lubricant, Small Arms.  It's the white lube that was made for the M-16 for the U.S. military.  You can get it by the quart from Gun Parts.  After trying all the wonder lubes, I still prefer the LSA.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mike
View Quote

gotta agree 100 percent......it's just another non-needed gizmo that will only serve to put money in the pockets of the distubutor.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Well..... $130.00 to get rid of the sproing.
I would rather spend my $130.00 on ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have any of you tried Olympic Arms AC4 Pneumatic Recoil Buffer yet? It sells for $129.00, and they say it is adjustable so that one model can be utilized on 5.56 cartridges, pistol caliber units, or any number of alternative rifle cartridges. They also say that it reduces recoil and muzzle climb. It reduces the cyclic rate of the military M4 Carbine from approx. 620rpm to 460rpm, while at the same time improving reliable feeding, extracting and ejecting. What do you think of it?
View Quote

OK I have never known of an M4 with a cyclic rate as LOW as 620 RPM.  I had no idea these were available for the carbine length buffer tube.  If this is true I would like to get my recoil impulse down to get faster follow up shots and since they have an over 10,000 round test with no failures and a lifetime warranty I would like you to show me where I may purchase carbine buffer tube length pneumatic buffer and I will buy it right now.

Somehow I believe you will not be able to show me this though.... since in all probability it does not exist.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html, then go to the top and click on Request a Catalog. Then click on the catalog and you will find the AC4 Pneumatic Recoil Buffer. There are two sizes buffers. Olympic Arms phone# is 1-(800)228-3471. I would not lie about some thing like this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#14]
OK well I read the catalog and there is not one for the carbine buffer tube.  Its for the rifle length tube.  It also slows the cyclic rate that much in the M16 A2 not the M4 the catalog was wrong.  Nothing new here... just as I thought.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Oly has been working on a carbine pneumo-buffer for some time, but w/o success. OTOH, AAC offers one, but it retains use of the original buffer spring. I'd wager, if Oly continues to experience failures w/ its carbine buffer project, economics will probably dictate its demise.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:08:36 AM EDT
[#16]
The catalog said and I quote "This unit has reduced the cyclic rate of a military M4 Carbine from approx. 620rpm to 460rpm, while at the same time improving reliabe feeding, extracting and ejecting" end quote. It also said in the second to the bottom window that a Collapable stock version is due out in 2003. I would suggest you call their phone# 1(800)228-3471 on Monday and ask them if they have the Collapsable stock version out yet.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, everyone hold on for a minute.

I actually shelled out he money for one of these puppies!

They DO reduce recoil, and they smooth it out.  The gun no longer twists in your hands.

The question isn't are they beneficial, its are they worth $110?  That's what I paid for mine.

The only reason I have to sell it is because I am going over to carbine tubed guns and the buffer won't fit.  E-mail if you want to try for yourself!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I too bought one of these pneumatic buffers for my Bushy.

It was a spur of the minute purchase, I was in the store, they had one in stock, the price was right ($119) and I bought it.

I was never really annoyed by the SPROING sound of my AR, but I was never really pleased with it either.

The pneumatic buffer completely eliminates the sproing. I did notice that it did smooth out what little recoil there was in my AR. I am able to reacquire targets faster with it installed.

My rifle has functioned flawlessly since I installed it.

Do you NEED one?

Probably not.

Can you USE one?

Sure.

Bottom line is, can you afford one?

Do you want one?

They certainly do not hurt.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#19]
The day the carbine version is released, it will be going in my Magpul M93.
I wish Olyarms would hurry its ass up.
-Steve
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They DO reduce recoil, and they smooth it out.  The gun no longer twists in your hands.

View Quote

a AR has very little recoil,  and it twist in your hands???.....you have some very weak  wrist there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#21]
The day it comes out it will go in my M93 stock as well.  You guys who are raggin on the guy who said it reduces recoil and twisting have to realise we know its a small improvement but some of us will spend the cash to get even a slight improvment we are so far gone in our AR addiction.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#22]
To see it in action go to bottom of enclosed URL and click on the "click here" hyperlink.

[url]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/recoil_buffer.htm[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top