Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 7:20:11 PM EDT
Well what is it.  Why do they run so high in price and look no better than a Rock River or Bushmaster.  I can understand why a L.B. (Les Bear) runs high because of its known quality and reputation for being some of the best out of the box, but I know nothing about Essential Arms.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The only Essential Arms rifles I can think of that sell for more than a Bushy or RRA are the ones that are pre-ban.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
They are the worst lower ever made not counting companies like Hesse who don't even count.

It would just be because all were made before 94
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
SPECIAL?????

I wouldn't even say the prebans, but the M16's.

I passed on a complete essential arms car-15 for 750 because it looked like crap.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I was wondering because I have heard the name but never realized that they get such a high price.  What sparked my interest was seeing a couple auctions on Gunbroker.  One guy wanted like $2400 and it looked like it had been banged around pretty good, and the lower/upper receivers looked to be in bad conditionas far as the finish.  It looked faded and matte.  I wasn't impressed.  I like to bid $1.00 for things like that- guns that sell for a lot but look worse than a twenty dollar bill.  Thanks guys, I think I'll just get a preban Colt or new custom built for that much money.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#6]
 I will be plenty happy to lose money on my prebans if that means we can all have them at an affordable price.  I consider it an investment.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I too have noticed a BIG increase in ads for Pre-Ban rifles, some of the prices are WAY TOO HIGH and some are not bad considering.

Troy is absoloutly correct, some folks are trying to dump while they think they still can and I'm with desertmoon...I'll be more than glad to see my rifles loose value in exchange to be able to build what I want with no restrictions...have four Mega Lowers just waiting it out!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Essential Arms NEVER manufactured complete rifles, only lower and upper receivers.  They also manufactured aluminum CAR stocks, and supplied these to others in the industry.

Their lowers were usually moly gray, except toward the end, they manufactured some in black.

Any AR15 you see on an Essential Arms lower is a kit gun.  Essential DID sell other parts through their sister company, Essential Accessories.  They sold all parts except barrels.

The Essential lower, even though cast, was of high quality, I have never seen a problem that could be pinned on these lower receivers.  But due to the low selling price of these receivers, under $60, they attracted bottom dollar builders.  They would buy an Essential lower, and buy parts kits from suppliers who made their kits from torn down, worn out M16's.  So, this is why you see so many ratty looking Essential Arms rifles.  But don't blame it on Essential.  They did not make rifles.

The only reason they can be of any value today is that ALL Essential Arms lowers were made before the ban, but would have had to be assembled into a complete rifle in order to be grandfathered, and thus, a legal AW.

In little over a year, pre-bans will just be old rifles.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top