Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2003 12:18:33 PM EDT
I have a 20" Standard Bushmaster XM15-E2S A2

I am going to install a RRA match trigger and a hogue grip.  

I would also like to free float my barrel, but I know nothing about that at all.  I just know it improves accuracy.  While searching for the hogue grip, I notice that there is a package that contains the hogue grip and a free floating forend from houge.

www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/699132

Does anyone know about this?  Is it easy to install, or will i screw up my AR doing this.  will I need special tools?  

Any help about this issue is much appreciated.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I rather like the Hogue front tube... the quality of work is excellent and the tube is very sturdy. I have a particular model AR that is popular with rural officers and I use a modified Hogue tube on it, no complaints do far.

The rubber grip is nice, installation is pretty straight forward, not unlike any of the other free-float tubes (have to remove front sight, need a vice clamp for the receiver or barrel and a barrel wrench/torque wrench).

Down side... not much for ventilation/cooling, but not really a big deal with semi-autos. Like most all F-F tubes, not pratical to remove for cleaning (I coat everything under the tube to prevent rust and make it easy to clean with a spray can). The OD is 2" (standard), I sort of like a little bigger tube, but the rubber grip is worth the trade off, IMHO.

Do not try to remove the rubber to refinish the tube! It is a nightmare... just trust me on this, local sheriff's dept just HAD to have OD Green finish on their guns -- it looks good though.

HIH
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had the Hogue Grip and FF Tube for some time now and have enjoyed mine. The last upper the FF tube was on had a gas block only and the tube would come off over it.

I found out however, that the Hogue mounting nut would not fit over a RRA-Wilson heavy stainless barrel that I had purchased. I reamed the hole out in the nut with a brake hone in a drill wrapped with 60 grit wet or dry sandpaper.

The best by far tool I have ever used on the barrel nut is a Strap Filter Wrench, this  one is made by Rigid.

Good Luck

MM419

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The best by far tool I have ever used on the barrel nut is a Strap Filter Wrench, this  one is made by Rigid.

Good Luck

MM419

View Quote

Good point... mine is Craftsman, gotta support Sears for their helping out military reserves.
[url]www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.asp[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top