Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 3:19:03 PM EDT
I have money down on a RRA M4 that's on it's way to my dealer. I had a Bushy that I sold because of the mini-y comp....it was just too loud....bought a few other things, and realized how much I missed the AR15.

I own a Wilson Combat 1911, and saw that the RRA has a "Wilson" barrel....is this Wilson Combat, or Wilson Arms?

When looking at Wilson Combats AR15's, I noticed that they do not chrome their barrels. The RRA that I have money on does not have it either...
..now I have to say that this gun will only be used to punch paper, and possibly a groundhog or two from time to time.

If this gun is kept clean and maintained the way it should be, is this a concern as to whether or not the barrel is chromed?

I appreciate the info..Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I apologize for not answering your question.... But why not get the M4 with the chrome lined barrel. Its a $30 upgrade but thats chump change for what you get...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, the AR is suppossed to be here in about 4 weeks. If I can, maybe they can change the order, and add the chrome.

I guess that's why I wanted to get some feedback as to whether it's an issue or not. If it's no big deal, then I'll probably just skip the chrome.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If your dealer ordered it from RRA, you have much more than 4 weeks to wait. They took 8 weeks for my rifle. The quality is top notch and it's everything I expected and more, but the customer service sucked and the wait was 2x longer than estimated. I know it's not what you wanna hear, but you have plenty of time to have them switch it to a chrome lined  barrel.
B9
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The AR was ordered by the dealer about 3 weeks ago. He told me it was coming in, so I put money down on it to claim it. That's why I said about 4 more weeks.....I was told it would only take about 6 or 7 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello,

Great choice for your AR.  I purchased mine last November and it arrived early January.  RRA makes awesome rifles and I know you will love it.  As far as the chrome lined barrel I went without it mainly because they were behind in chrome-lined barrels and I didn't wanna wait!  lol  As far as the advantages, I have heard you need it and you don't.  Everyone here had their own opinions there.  I think you just have to go with what you feel more comfortable with.  I was told and have read for the average shooter that a non chromed barrel is more than sufficient.  I don't shoot mine a whole lot and I clean it right after every shoot.  I think the biggest pro for the crome-lined barrel was that it is suppose to be easier to clean.  But, mine AR has been pretty easy to clean anyway.  So, whatever makes you happy.  You will be happy whichever route you go.  Now, if you are gonna go shooting in the rain and mud and not cleaning your rifle, then I would say, Get the Chrome.....  Just my opinion....  [:D]

Happy Shooting and good luck with your new rifle....

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I know I'll never send enough rounds through a barrel to wear it out so the only reason I like chrome-lined barrels is because I'm lazy and I don't like to clean and I don't like to take the time to break in a barrel.  It all boils down to laziness for me.  If I wasn't a total slacker I would have no use for chrome-lining.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Ill be honest,

I am pretty new to AR's,  So I put this question to my good friend.  He asked me if I was going to be wading thru any salt water?  I said no.  He said if I was going to expose my rifle to any salt water environments that I should not look at anything but chrome lined.  I know without a doubt that I will get a chrome lined upper in the next four months so I have no complaints of my standard barrell.  It does not matter what you put down on your rifle,  all you need to tell your dealer is that you want it chrome lined. Yea it will take longer but If you really want it get it the first time.  All I shoot is bowling pins, and whatever is at the ranch that is designated a target so its not that big of deal.  Its your money & I too have difficulty choosing sometimes.  Consider your lower as a pair of pants.  You need a different pair of shoes for work & play.  If all else fails just get yourself a upper that you can trick out & be flashy.  The other can be simple.   Sounds easy,  if only I had money to do this....

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have the time and the money to shoot the thousands of rounds it will take to wear out your non chrome lined barrel, I suppose you can afford to buy a new one.  Everyone makes a big deal out of chrome vs non chrome. I doubt many of us will ever wear a barrel out shooting our semi-auto AR. I know there are a few exceptions.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#10]
you may want to call rock river because this was a deciding point for me in a rock river or a armalite...when i called they were offering the chrome lined for a short period, and they told me to oreder now because they would run out.. They recive their barrels from wilson, so you never know what they may recive in upcoming shipment.. I got the Elite LE Tactical CAR A4  in chrome lined and they were not offering it openly.. Give them a call, and i do love my RRA......
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top