Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 9:34:12 AM EDT
I've been lurking around for a while, and finally got around to finding a stinkin' website which can host pictures that actually allows other web sites to pull them down.

It's a RRA 20" A4 model with the standard Wylde chamber and two-stage trigger. The trigger is sweet. I played around with some other rifles and can't believe how nice and crisp this one is. The muzzle brake was installed by the factory.

The standard config is the detach carry handle:

I got two riser mounts, one of which gets a Tasco 40mm red-dot scope zeroed in with LC:

Finally, another riser mount with a NC-Star compact 3-9x40 and illuminated reticle zeroed in with Winchester 45gr JHP's:

Yes, I need better optics, but no rude comments from you ACOG/Aimpoint clad elites ! Besides, my wife was getting seriously bent out-of-shape when I came home with more Q3131A and threatened bodily harm if I don't rein in my purchases.

Anyway - I kind of feel like my daughter playing dress up with her Barbies. Hmmm. Red Dot scope. Yeah - that looks good. Wait - let me put the carry handle on again. No, let's see that compact scope again.

I'm sure there's a nicely dressed M4gery somewhere in my future. I had no idea how addictive these things were so addictive. There should be a warning label or something...
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice set-up you got there...nice photo's, too!

The trigger is what sold the RRA to me. Mine has smoothed up a bit in 500 or so rounds I have through it. It breaks at 3.3#
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey, good job. It's always nice to see another member's first AR-15, adding one more to our ranks.

I believe that a person should build a rifle the way they want, regardless of what others think about their chosen configuration. I prefer the Aimpoint ML2 for my pre-ban M4, but would never put down your choice of optics. To each his own. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey, good job. It's always nice to see another member's first AR-15, adding one more to our ranks.

I believe that a person should build a rifle the way they want, regardless of what others think about their chosen configuration. [:)]
View Quote

Yep !!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice rifle, enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a sweet looking rifle and the optics are fine.

As long as YOU can hit what you're aiming at I don't care if you duct tape a pair of toothpics on top of your barrel. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you a photographer?  That is a very sweet rifle.  You'll definitely enjoy it.  However, you will be wanting more soon.  Betcha can't have just one?  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
It's nice  to see a 20". Nice muzzle break for a postban(bushmaster are you listening).
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice AR and nice photo work!  Its nice to see a 20" around since no one I know has them.  Very good!  Oh yeah, nice break on that thing!!!

As for the optics, no worries - if you can hit with what you've got then hey, no need to spend more money!  I hear it all the time from the GF I live with, "WHAT?!?!?!  YOU BOUGHT ANOTHER DUMB SCOPE FOR THAT RIFLE!?!?!??"  me, "But hun its an Aimpoint and the other one is a Leupold CQ/T - they are different and......"   well you get the pic  

Just enjoy what you have and most importantly -- HAVE FUN!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are you a photographer?
View Quote

Thanks for all the positive comments. The factory muzzle brake does look great. I'm surpsrised not more people are offering them. For my next one, I'll probably get a Fulton Armory M4 upper to mate with the RRA lower. Theirmuzzle brakes are pinned on and removeable, so that if I ever want to add and S.I.R it won't be a problem (already dreaming of an M4gery). That will definitely have to wear some nicer optics, but it's a tough decision - upgraded optics or new rifle.....

In regards to the photography - no, I'm an engineer. I sort of understand what makes a photograph work though since looking at a lot of examples posted on this board. It's a tough subject to take good pictures of. Here's some tips:

1) Use a plain colored background, and make it not too dark, not too light. Too much contrast is difficult for the camera. In my case, a bedsheet temporarily hijacked from the closet did the trick. I draped it over the patio table and held it in place with coasters or some stuff like that.

2) Avoid flash whenever possible. You'll get shadows behind the subject, and uneven lighting most of the time. Add the reflection from shiny spots, and it makes for a bad photo. Outside on an overcast day without sun glinting is best.

3) If at all possible, go digital and take a lot of shots, then pick the best one. Shoot at the highest resolution - you can always downsize to fit your taste.

4) Throw in some accessories to make it look more interesting.

That's about it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you a photographer?
View Quote

2) Avoid flash whenever possible. You'll get shadows behind the subject, and uneven lighting most of the time. Add the reflection from shiny spots, and it makes for a bad photo. Outside on an overcast day without sun glinting is best.
View Quote

If you have a camera that accepts an externally mounted flash, you can simply shoot your setup indoors and bounce the flash off of the ceiling to fill in all the shadow areas ... use a diffuser on the flash to reduce the hot spots.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hear it all the time from the GF I live with
View Quote

What do your other GF's think? [ROFL2]

Just kidding.

And Zhukov, that's a great looking rifle.  Did the brake cost any extra?

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet looking rifle.  Congrats on your new purchase.  I love RRA's stuff.  Enjoy!

[:D]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top