http://www.vpc.org/

CRC
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]
idiots

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#2]
[b]Bullet Hoses[/b]
Semiautomatic Assault Weapons—What Are They? What's So Bad About Them?
Ten Key Points about What Assault Weapons Are and Why They Are So Deadly
This study documents the following 10 important key points.

1. Semiautomatic assault weapons (like AK and AR-15 assault rifles and UZI and MAC assault pistols) are civilian versions of military assault weapons. There are virtually no significant differences between them.

2. Military assault weapons are "machine guns." That is, they are capable of fully automatic fire. A machine gun will continue to fire as long as the trigger is held down until the ammunition magazine is empty.

3. Civilian assault weapons are not machine guns. They are semiautomatic weapons. (Since 1986 federal law has banned the sale to civilians of new machine guns.) The trigger of a semiautomatic weapon must be pulled separately for each round fired. It is a mistake to call civilian assault weapons "automatic weapons" or "machine guns."

4. However, this is a distinction without a difference in terms of killing power. Civilian semiautomatic assault weapons incorporate all of the functional design features that make assault weapons so deadly. They are arguably more deadly than military versions, because most experts agree that semiautomatic fire is more accurate—and thus more lethal—than automatic fire.

5. The distinctive "look" of assault weapons is not cosmetic. It is the visual result of specific functional design decisions. Military assault weapons were designed and developed for a specific military purpose—laying down a high volume of fire over a wide killing zone, also known as "hosing down" an area.

6. Civilian assault weapons keep the specific functional design features that make this deadly spray-firing easy. These functional features also distinguish assault weapons from traditional sporting guns.

7. The most significant assault weapon functional design features are: (1) ability to accept a high-capacity ammunition magazine, (2) a rear pistol or thumb-hole grip, and, (3) a forward grip or barrel shroud. Taken together, these are the design features that make possible the deadly and indiscriminate "spray-firing" for which assault weapons are designed. None of them are features of true hunting or sporting guns.

8. "Spray-firing" from the hip, a widely recognized technique for the use of assault weapons in certain combat situations, has no place in civil society. Although assault weapon advocates claim that "spray-firing" and shooting from the hip with such weapons is never done, numerous sources (including photographs and diagrams) show how the functional design features of assault weapons are used specifically for this purpose.

9. Unfortunately, most of the design features listed in the 1994 federal ban—such as bayonet mounts, grenade launchers, silencers, and flash suppressors—have nothing to do with why assault weapons are so deadly. As a result, the gun industry has easily evaded the ban by simply tinkering with these "bells and whistles" while keeping the functional design features listed above.

10. Although the gun lobby today argues that there is no such thing as civilian assault weapons, the gun industry, the National Rifle Association, gun magazines, and others in the gun lobby enthusiastically described these civilian versions as "assault rifles," "assault pistols," "assault-type," and "military assault" weapons to boost civilian assault-weapon sales throughout the 1980s. The industry and its allies only began to use the semantic argument that a "true" assault weapon is a machine gun after civilian assault weapons turned up in inordinate numbers in the hands of drug traffickers, criminal gangs, mass murderers, and other dangerous criminals.

c VPC

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
How about that.  VPC says full auto and semi-auto is a distinction without a difference and that semi-automatics are actually more deadly than full autos because they're more accurate.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be willing to trade in my AR-15s for less-deadly M-16s.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
idiots

View Quote

They're not the idiots.  They're just liars.    The idiots are the people who listen to them.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Where did they get the firing from the hip from? Watching Arnold in Commando? The only time i have seen a weapon fired from the hip was when someone was screwing around and they didnt hit anything. This article contradicts itself several times also. What a bunch of clowns.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe the term @$$clown applies here.  I always aproach an issue from the standpoint that the other side means well, and I don't feel this case is any different.

I still feel automobiles and carelessness with infectious disease (AIDS, etc) are our worst fears.  So careless everyone does it, and no one seems to pause a second to notice, except the dead.

Are weapons inherently dangerous?  A machine gun?  A 16" rifle from a battleship?  A pop gun?  A firecracker?

Any time you blow something up (detonation of a round, for example) you have an element of danger.  People kill eachother with weapons maliciously or in the heat of the moment (crime of passion).  People also shoot eachother and themselves accidentally.  Finally, there are accidents involving carelessness or errors in handling that result in 'other' injuries (gun explodes from an overloaded round, etc).

OK... this is pretty bad, right?

Same thing happens with cars, knives, firecrackers, blunt instruments (bat, club, pipe) and even barehanded!  Not rarely but often.

If they were able to remove guns from the hands of every user here, every registered gun owner and completely make all firearms illegal in this country, would gun crime go away?

Not as long as you can mill up a machine-gun in a decent workshop.  Not as long as people still illicitly bring weapons into the country.

If they stop all gun sales and sieze all guns TOMORROW, there would be gun crime the next day.  Here's a hint - the crooks will still have THEIR guns, it won't be any tougher a sentence in jail than it is now for crimes committed with a firearm... and the crooks won't fear the public at ALL.  Why should they?  We have sticks, they have uzis.  Do the math, but don't let it hurt your head.

Educate EVERYONE YOU MEET, but be oh-so-nice about it.  Impression counts for a lot, even in the face of a lack of logic.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Military assault weapons were designed and developed for a specific military purpose—laying down a high volume of fire over a wide killing zone, also known as "hosing down" an area.
View Quote

Every Drill Sgt. from every branch of service that ever lived is probably having a friggin anuerysm right now.

That's pretty damn funny.  The military does NOT teach this.  In fact, it is specifically addressed and taught to be a foolish thing to do.  Geez, 3 round burst?  The M16A2 isn't even 'full' auto!

You really have to wonder if its truly a lack of information on their part or if they really are just outright lying...  

Wait a minute, like I don't know the answer to that?[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where did they get the firing from the hip from? Watching Arnold in Commando? The only time i have seen a weapon fired from the hip was when someone was screwing around and they didnt hit anything. This article contradicts itself several times also. What a bunch of clowns.
View Quote

Never had to bust a bunker or some well esconded fellas. In bunker busting when we were 10 or 20 yrds away, we would go to a above the hip hold. There is nothing like 10 or 12 guys walking side by side blasting away untill you run dry. I dont know about you but I can hit stuff from the hip.
GG
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a RRA AR15 for trade for an M16 full auto or burst doesn't matter :D
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's pretty damn funny.  The military does NOT teach this.  In fact, it is specifically addressed and taught to be a foolish thing to do.  Geez, 3 round burst?  The M16A2 isn't even 'full' auto!
View Quote

I think you are now supporting their positions that full auto is less dangerous than controleld fire.  Do not take the propaganda of the enemy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
[puke]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a pretty f'd up accusation. It's been a while since I've read of a crime committed with an "assauylt weapon." Crooks need to be able to run, and fast! They also need to be able to conceal their weapons until the last possible moment. For these reasons, pistols are used in crimes much more often than true assault-style weapons. In fact, I read  abook that stated that for 3 cities, 89 assaults were commited with handguns versus 2 for long guns. I believe the term "assclowns" is appropriate. Nonetheless, it is always beneficial to know what is cooking in the enemy's kitchen! This report was brought to my attention by the New England Journal of Medicine discussing wound treatments, not some ass pirate who thinks they know something about statistical data!
B9
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where did they get the firing from the hip from? Watching Arnold in Commando?

This article contradicts itself several times also.
View Quote

Their supporters are people with little to no knowledge of real firearms and they know it. They pander to that lack of knowledge and play on the fact that most people's exposure to firearms is limited to Hollywood.

The best thing to do is simply remain calm and give educational facts. In discussions, i do this all the time. MOST of the time, i, of course, don't convince the person i'm debating with. But many people observing the discussion are more impressed with rational, calm delivery of facts compared to the ranting and raving my opponent must resort to.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
It always amazes me how many people are killed by cars each year but you don’t hear soccer moms screaming to ban automobiles. You can have my SUV when you pry the keys from my cold dead hands! Oh and I’ll be taking my AK and AR hunting rifles out this fine 3 day weekend for some fun  plinkin and I promise not to shoot from the hip.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Errr.. OK, first they say they are more deadly than full auto because of aimed fire, then they say they are more deadly because they are designed to be shot from the hip?

Rocko
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Its kinda funny how the only gun ive ever fired from the hip was a garand.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]
The only gun I shoot from the hip is my G3 and that's because it gives me a blood tattoo on my shoulder in full auto.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Boys and girls, its not the assault weapons they want banned, it your liberty they want banned.  They have to get your guns before they can get your liberty.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#19]
You got that right!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#20]
[size=4][b]The Second Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting or sporting events MOTHERF*CKERS![/b][/size=4]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top