Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2003 5:41:28 AM EDT
I most often visit AR15.com from where I work, and the connection isn't always the fastest.  I would, as I am sure many others would agree, prefer to see subject lines that are ACTUALLY the subject of the topic, and not useless phrases like, "It happened again", "HELP", "Which is Better.....", "how do I...".  And my person favorite, "Question"

WHAT happened again?  WHAT do you need help with?  Which is better out of WHAT?  How do you do WHAT?  WHAT is your question?  Get the theme?  Use the subject line to say WHAT your topic is about!

I try to be thorough here, but am tired of waiting for a page to load on a topic like "Question", only to find out it is someone asking an inane query like "If the SHTF are you going to go Rambo with an AR in each hand?" or some other BS that I don't care about.

So, lets at least try to come across as educated gun rights advocates and not militia gun nuts.

-Brought to you by the same guy who hates all those stupid acronyms that no one understands.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
IBSTFUYOUFNG

:-D
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
IBSTFUYOUFNG

:-D
View Quote

WTF?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I was misled by your title. Thanks for wasting a few minutes of my day. [:D]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah, the irony of the fact that guys who type three letters instead of three words to save two seconds have no problem spending excessive time rummaging through dozens of pointless posts about How many loaded mags someone keeps in their nightstand or whether guys store their ARs with the collapsable stock extended or retracted.

And for those of you who speak Acronym, I will translate this entire post:

ATIOTFTGWTTLIOTWTSTSHNPSETRTDOPPAHMLMSKITNsOWGSTArWTCSEOR  AFTOYWSAIWTTEP
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#5]
What you need is a faster connection [;D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#6]
What you need to do is work at work, not surf at work, then bitch to those of us who could care less that your time was wasted.

[:K]

Don't want to waste time, then don't surf the site.  Don't know what is in the topic -- skip it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I will see what I can do about the internet connection, but the Air Force is kinda strange that way.  They can fly a jet faster than speed of sound at 45,000 feet undetectable by radar and drop a bomb to hit within 6 inches of its target, but we dont have the technology to get High Speed internet on our Pentium II computers!

Another benefit of using accurate subject lines is it makes it easier to search topics.  Seaching for info on bayonets wont turn up a post Titled "look what I did..."  I dunno, when I see something with befenits and no downsides I wonder why people would rather ridule the guy who makes the suggestion.  Maybe it is just a sign of low intellengce that people WANT to be ignorant.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe it is just a sign of low intellengce that people WANT to be ignorant.

View Quote

Or MAYBE it's a sign of highly intelligent people knowing enough not waste time on government computers reading topics that may or may not waste thier time....hmmmm???
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Dork.

Surf at home,

Work at work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#10]
During the war I worked 90+ hour weeks.  and By "during the war"  I dont mean just the 4 week war with Iraq, but from Septemeber 11th, though Afganistan, right up until this month.  I am sorry if you feel, Shivan, that I don't do enough work.  But I think the general census right now is that we work hard enough to get the job done, whether the job is Afganistan or Iraq.

By the way, did I mention that I didn't get to go home at the end of the day during those 90 hour work weeks?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
During the war I worked 90+ hour weeks.  and By "during the war"  I dont mean just the 4 week war with Iraq, but from Septemeber 11th, though Afganistan, right up until this month.  I am sorry if you feel, Shivan, that I don't do enough work.  But I think the general census right now is that we work hard enough to get the job done, whether the job is Afganistan or Iraq.

By the way, did I mention that I didn't get to go home at the end of the day during those 90 hour work weeks?
View Quote

D.T., if you're wearing the uniform put in your ninety hours as you see fit - I always did.  And THANK YOU for your service !!

Heard from my son-in-law (Air Force) for the first time in three months over the weekend and he was able to tell us where he was if not where he had been.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:35:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

[>(]

Well in that case, take the gov't credit card and go have a night out at The Plaza Hotel, with a limo and dinner in Paris.  I mean you deserve it man.  Anything for you....[rolleyes]
All joking aside, I do appreciate people in the military -- just not boneheads who bitch about using government resources for personal entertainment while at work.  Maybe you are different, but the whole of the problem is the same.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I was only being a smart ass.  You have a valid point when you say accurate subject lines will aid in performing searches.  I'll give that one to you but it appears your delivery is working against you here.  

One thing you need to remember is some post are made by relatively new people or people that may need help understanding something.  Because they are new or reaching out for assistance they may not have a good handle on the issue and that is reflected in their subject line.  No one is doing it on purpose.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#14]
[:K][@:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All joking aside, I do appreciate people in the military -- just not boneheads who bitch about using government resources for personal entertainment while at work.  Maybe you are different, but the whole of the problem is the same.
View Quote

I also used a sticky note to make my grocery list yesterday, two infractions in two days...better report me!  (three if you count the ink on the sticky note!)

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I most often visit AR15.com from where I work...
View Quote

Maybe you could use the gov't credit card to procure yourself a faster connection, or maybe a better computer?

It's no big deal the debt is already at $6 Trillion, what's $10,000 more?  Hell, GAO will round that out in the consolidated statement...

90 hour weeks man, that should easily be a 3ghz Pentium IV machine with a dedicated T1 to your desk bro...

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I probably shouldn't have used my work computer in the middle east to email my friends and family when I knew I was coming home from the war either, huh?  Personal use of government computers....very bad!

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#18]
For those of you that are too young or too stupid to have jobs, or that work at Taco Bell where computers are not available...

Some people work at jobs that have computers available for use on their breaks. Yes, people with real jobs get breaks from work. Also, there are folks that actually finish their work and have free time. Being a 10 year Vietnam era veteran of the Air Force, I know that there are free times. Those free times help compensate for the sacrifices given up in service of the country.

DallmannTodd, in my opinion, has a valid point.

Why don't you trolls spit your mama's tit out of your mouths and get a life and a real job.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#19]
[:K]'s[banana][:K]'s[banana][:K]'s[banana]

!!IBTL!!!- all from work
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For those of you that are too young or too stupid to have jobs, or that work at Taco Bell where computers are not available...

Some people work at jobs that have computers available for use on their breaks. Yes, people with real jobs get breaks from work. Also, there are folks that actually finish their work and have free time. Being a 10 year Vietnam era veteran of the Air Force, I know that there are free times. Those free times help compensate for the sacrifices given up in service of the country.

Why don't you trolls spit your mama's tit out of your mouths and get a life and a real job.
View Quote

[lol]

ass[:o)]

The laptop I am working/playing on currently, is owned by me.  I also have two more desktops sitting on my desk owned by the company.  I work a minimum work week of 55 hours, of which I get paid for 40.  Both my work and home internet connections are paid for by the company and are expressly deemed personal or company use connections in both my agreement with the company and the ISP.

When I see topics that are vague I only go and visit them when they start getting hits, otherwise it was just some inane waste of time.  I don't come on the site bitching about whether or not we should all conform to some "topic title protocol".  If you don't want your time wasted, get the fuck off the internet and go outside and make yourself useful.  I'm sure the gov't has got something for him to do...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DT...as I said I have the utmost respect for the boys/girls in uniform.  When you cry like a little girl about "topic title protocol" I lose some -- regardless of whose computer you are using.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Being a 10 year Vietnam era veteran of the Air Force, I know that there are free times. Those free times help compensate for the sacrifices given up in service of the country.

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I probably shouldn't have used my work computer in the middle east to email my friends and family when I knew I was coming home from the war either, huh?  Personal use of government computers....very bad!

View Quote

Sounds like life was real tough for you out there in the desert.  Did you take your blackberry and palm pilot too?  Did your cell phone and pager get good reception?

A friend of mine is in the Marines, and went to Iraq, and he used the good old fashioned letter to get word to his mom that he was coming home.  He also got to call, from a GI sat phone, in the base he was in before being sent home...

However, when he gets home to San Diego he calls his mom from [b]his[/b] phone in his condo....he also only surfs the internet at home.

I guess it can be done, even when you did make it to Iraq and back.  Weird.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I know....

Maybe we should make an official modification to the conduct code that says:

"All topics should be titled correctly and efficiently so that the minimum amount of time is wasted while surfing this site.  Failure to comply with this rule will result in deleted posts.  If the problem persists your account will be locked."

Sound good???

I suggest we call it "Rule 11"....

[lol]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I know....

Maybe we should make an official modification to the conduct code that says:

"All topics should be titled correctly and efficiently so that the minimum amount of time is wasted while surfing this site.  Failure to comply with this rule will result in deleted posts.  If the problem persists your account will be locked."

Sound good???

I suggest we call it "Rule 11"....

[lol]
View Quote

....and no more pictures either. [BD] Those things use way too much bandwidth.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with the OP. As for the work place issue, don't most firearm forums have work place friendly urls?

TT [coffee]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#26]
A friend of mine is in the Marines,
View Quote

I am sorry to hear that he had it so much more miserable.  I guess I am one of the lucky ones who got drafted into the Air Force and not into the Marines.  Wait, I remember volunteering, did he do the same, or was he drafted?  Did he get the opportunity to look at all the branches and make a decision for HIMSELF which HE wanted to join?  I guess for that matter, he even had the choice not to join any at all.

And, now before you go saying something else stupid take the time to learn what goes into launching a couple hundred aircraft everyday into a small airspace, and be able to coordinate take offs, targets, air refuelings, landings, recons, and formations without any of those aircraft runnign into each other.  Now ask yourself...  Could this REALLY be done without a complex communications network linking the Air Bases with the Air Craft Carriers with the Command structure with the various Civilian Air Space Coordinaters?  Of course we used computers!  We are the most technologically advanced military!  We aren't going to leave our computers at home and plan a war using letters just because the marines on the ground can't carry a Dell in their Ruck Sacks!

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I agree with the OP. As for the work place issue, don't most firearm forums have work place friendly urls?

TT [coffee]
View Quote

Yeah, because somehow the "AR15" nomenclature has become a taboo word...[rolleyes]

[size=1][blue]What is "OP"[?][/size=1][/blue]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Todd has pointed out something that I've often wished folks would do, from the time I started using this site for serious learning.  The search function searches only thread titles, not within post text.  Meaningful titles would be a huge help and benefit to every serious AR15.com pupil, and would aid everyday browsing as Todd states.

I never posted the observation as Todd did, I just tried to set a good example, and hoped too that my informative titles would help draw more responses.

As to Todd's interest in keeping the site (user) friendly, I very much appreciate folks like him who remain gentlemen despite infantile boors' best efforts toward making this 'place' as [i]un[/i]friendly as possible.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A friend of mine is in the Marines,
View Quote

I am sorry to hear that he had it so much more miserable.  I guess I am one of the lucky ones who got drafted into the Air Force and not into the Marines.  Wait, I remember volunteering, did he do the same, or was he drafted?  Did he get the opportunity to look at all the branches and make a decision for HIMSELF which HE wanted to join?  I guess for that matter, he even had the choice not to join any at all.

And, now before you go saying something else stupid take the time to learn what goes into launching a couple hundred aircraft everyday into a small airspace, and be able to coordinate take offs, targets, air refuelings, landings, recons, and formations without any of those aircraft runnign into each other.  Now ask yourself...  Could this REALLY be done without a complex communications network linking the Air Bases with the Air Craft Carriers with the Command structure with the various Civilian Air Space Coordinaters?  Of course we used computers!  We are the most technologically advanced military!  We aren't going to leave our computers at home and plan a war using letters just because the marines on the ground can't carry a Dell in their Ruck Sacks!

View Quote

Man, sounds like it is very complex stuff...you may want to quit slacking off and go do something useful, like keeping those aircraft from hitting one another, or gassed up or whatever.  I mean it's all so very technical that one lapse of concentration may mean that a pilot dies or we lose a plane.......hang on SGT let me finish this post and I'll get right back to those two jets......

I'm sure the air traffic controllers/flight crews/aircraft maintenance/etc at LAX/DFW/DCA etc sit around during thier shift and surf ARFCOMM too....obviously your job is redundant enough that you have the luxury to be here at all.  Not everyone can be so lucky.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I very much appreciate folks like him who remain gentlemen despite infantile boors' best efforts toward making this 'place' as [i]un[/i]friendly as possible.
View Quote

[lurch]You rang???[/lurch]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#31]
FWIW, I looked at the first two pages of active topics and saw two offending posts out of the 100 or so that are there.

That is a 98% success rate, with no formal indoctrination.

How could that be?  It would appear that this was a widespread cancer on the site that we had pages and pages of posts that were misleading, mislabeled, or misguiding...there must be a hidden room that these threads are all compiled.

Is there a "Topic Title -- Rule 11" room now???
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I will do my best to keep subject lines on topic. If it takes IM'ing the topic author or editing the topic line myself, I will do it.

In the mean while, I need to clean this place up a little.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I guess he got tired of playing with himself. Only a troll would make 2 and 3 posts in succession without responding to someone elses post. We can just ignore his childish dribble which I'm sure will continue.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top