Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 8:47:36 PM EDT
What are everyone thoughts on distances for zeroing red dot sights for cqb (aimpoint & EOTECH)?  What are the pro's doing.  50 yrds or 25?.....or?  If you sight in at Either of those ranges your strikes vary up to a couple inches give or take at REALLY close engangments.  Like room sized engagements to hallway distances.  Are these guys just aiming a bit high(like aiming at forehead to hit nose) for headshots?  Grim question I know but in a defense situation I would like to know whether to go POA/POI.

[edited to add subject into title]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to know where your own rifle hits not where the guys who's pictures get put into magazines sight thier rifle in.

I sight my .223 20" AR in for 1.25" high at 100yds that way I hit with in the 10" vertical A zone on an IPSC target from muzzle to 300 yds.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:06:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Well that question was posed to one of the SEALs on tacticalforums.com and he zeros at 50 yards and look over the top of the rear sight and use the front sight only to make head shots in CQB environments.  I am sure its a bit different for everyone.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Most of us w/ Aimpoints or EOTechs are using the top choice here: [url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/zeroingmethods.msnw[/url].

The 50 yard "Santose" method.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all!  I know where mine hits but I'm always looking for advice........Taker easy!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#5]
At Blackwater they train to use the 300 meter sight in, but I never got my weapon sighted in properly. I was fine until I tried to shoot at 200 meters, at which time I began shooting 2 feet over the head of the target...

I went to the Santose sighting method which still allows me to use the dial on my A2 sight correctly....
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Shooting at 20 feet about how much difference is there between sighting at 25M. compared to 50M.?  I cannot see it but did not use a brace.  All free standing so there was bound to be some movement naturally in my groups.  I have been sticking with the 50 Santose method.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
50 works. If you need to shoot point blank, rely on your training/instinct. there will be no time for anything else anyway. 1/2moa will not apply.
when you need to go prone or supported, you will know what to expect. that is if you have trained.
50 was a gift to you. practice and find out why. you will know best only after your own familiatarity with your rifle and your ammo.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I would think that a 50 yard zero would really limit my range.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#9]
At Frontsight they teach using a 200m sight in. With it you are good for center of mass shots using point of aim for 0-200m. For small close targets i.e. head shots, you compensate. For an AR type weapon at 15m you aim about the middle of the forehead to hit in the cranial/ocular cavity. At 25m you aim about at the eyebrow.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would think that a 50 yard zero would really limit my range.
View Quote

CJ,
Then you really need to get an education....[;)]

A 50 yard zero gives you precision capability to 220M (+/- 2.0" off the Point-of-Aim)  It gives you capability of hitting a man sized target to 300M - well beyond 'typical' combat distances.  Plus it properly calibrates the elevations wheel (something the 300M - 8/3+1 method does not do).  So if you do need to shoot targets at 500-600M you know your rifle will be zeroed correctly.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top