Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 3:45:55 AM EDT
 About 7 months ago, me my little brother and the FFL guy all built 20" standard A2 kits from J&T on Olympic lowers. I have not a single bad word to say about J & T as their service was excellent and none of us had a single problem with the guns that wasn't mag-related. The only thing I wish was different was the chrome-lined barrel thing that at the time they didn't offer. I think now it is an option. I own a Bushy carbine, but the truth is, I enjoy shooting this one more. Anyway, I have read alot of people refer to these kit guns as not so up-to-par as Bushy's and other top-line guns. What would you guys do to bring one of these guns up to the same level as a Bushmaster or an Armalite. Would you feel safe using one of these guns in a SHTF scenario if you had to. Is it worth spending the money on it to get it up to the level of a Bushmaster? Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, my J&T rifle is very nice. But I have a BM post ban for more serious business. You could always buy a BM upper I suppose, or even go with a chrome lined J&T m4 upper. I don't believe J&T offers chrome lining on any model other than their m4 profile right now.

You could use your current AR, as it is a whole lot better than most non ar or ak options. Just be sure to clean it and lube with the right amount of clp to make sure fouling doesn't stick and muck things up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I built a 16" J & T Kit a couple of years ago on an Olympic receiver.  My experience was similar to yours, but I didn't have any malfunctions.  Ran great, looked good.  I don't think anything needs to be done, other than chrome lining the bore & chamber.  You'll have less resale value, but then you'll generally pay less to start.  I would have no hesitation in trusting it as a SHTF rifle.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I built a rifle with a 16" J&T upper and it's great.  Never had one problem and I've put about 5,000 rounds through it.
I would absolutely buy more parts/kits from J&T.  
The quality is great and so is the price!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I built the J&T Tactical Light Weight kit on a Oly reciver. Great little rifle and EXCELLENT ppeople to dela with. About 2k rounds through it now runs flawlessly. Like someone else mentioned though it does not like my Orlite Mags runs good on USGI  Colt and the Brit Steel
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#6]
The only difference between J&T and Bushy is the chrome barrel. Since I have both and have had both apart I can say the following, with the exception of the barrel the J&T meets and exceeds Bushmaster in quality. J&T has better handguards, their flat-top uppers are 'T' numbered. J&T uppers fit tighter than Bushy. Fire control parts are by Colt. Metal trigger guard not platic like Bushy. Lifetime warranty not 1 year like Bushy. Why the price difference? Name recognition for one and secondly, excise tax. When you build a kit gun, you don't pay any excise tax, no way for you to do so. When a licensed mfr builds a gun, they pay %12 to the gov't on every gun they produce. So figure this, $450 for the gun kit, $100 for a receiver, you got $550 invested. Add %12 for excise tax if you're a mfr plus the cost of your SOT license as a mfr, cost of additional insurance, cost of test firing the guns, additional employees etc. Your end product cost more because your cost of operation is greater.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top